Why RNY

TraceyLL
on 5/25/11 12:14 pm - WV
I'm just starting my weight loss journey.  So my question is why RNY?  Is this the surgery for me?  I know no one can answer this for me, but I would love to hear opinions from those who have been in my shoes and why they chose RNY.
blazn963
on 5/25/11 12:17 pm
For me my choices where RNY or LAPband.  For me I wanted the VSG but insurance didnt cover it.  Lapband wasnt for me cause didnt want the fills and the foregin body.   I then went with the RNY and have not had a doubt about it since surgery.  This is a very personel choice that you need to do the research on.  You have to be comfortable with your decision.  I dont put one surgery over the other because if you work the tool it will work for you.  Do alot of research from here like you are and online.  Find what makes you the most comfortable.

ahmerzrealm
on 5/25/11 12:33 pm - Naperville, IL
I was very sick. Diabetes was killing me. I chose RNY because it offered a possibility for me to get rid of this disease. My a1c at surgery time was 13. Five months later its 7.1 ... doctor say it will hit 6.8 before the year is out
Ladytazz
on 5/25/11 12:34 pm
 It depends on a lot of things.  How much do you want to lose?  Do you have any comorbidites like diabetes or high blood pressure?  Do you need to take NSAIDs for pain?  Is your problem volume or is your metabolism broken? Do you have a problem with sugar and refined carbs?  If you do that needs to be addressed because any surgery you have will not be as successful if you eat a lot of those.  Once you take all those into consideration it will be easier to decide.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

msromagnola
on 5/25/11 12:46 pm
Tracy - my doc offerred RNY, band and sleeve.  My insurance didn't cover the sleeve.  My doc told  me "the band is not enough for you."  I weighed 298.  I decided if I was going to trust the man with my life in surgery that I would trust his judgement about what would work for me.  I was scared to death.  I was scared with all the "any surgery" risks, but scared about dumping (I haven't yet) and scared about vitamin deficiences - none yet showing up on labs.  However, I did have one issue with numbness in my legs - I self-diagnosed  :) as a B deficiency and upped my dose.  It got better.  Wonder what my doc will say about that one when I see him Friday! 

I knew nothing about DS until I got regular on OH AFTER I had already had surgery.  I might have looked into it more - but I still don't know much much about it - because what's the use?  I've already had RNY and at the moment it's working for weight loss.  If I were in your shoes, however, I would research them all and then make your best choice for YOU!  Good luck to you.  Smart you - doing research ahead of time - and hearing from folks who've had it done. 

MSROMAGNOLA
Lisa E.
on 5/25/11 6:59 pm - Fontana, CA
I chose my RNY not for weight loss but because I had diabetes, high Blood Pressure and a Fatty liver. I am happy to say I no longer take meds for my diabetes or my High Blood pressure and I have lost 25lbs since April 14Th. Good luck on your choice and believe me surgery was one of the hardest and scariest things I think I have ever done but 100% worth it.
Good Luck, Lisa     

Most Active
Recent Topics