Im not Winning

MrsFreund
on 5/25/11 10:19 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Okay... Where to begin... Im scheduled for surgery next Tuesday May 31st. And right now I'm suppossed to be on my liquid diet. Well I have cheated everyday. I just can't seem to stick to it. I'm so picky also so that makes it so hard. Chicken soup minus the noodles and chicken is just not doing it for me. I have no energy and I'm becoming a major B. I don't know what to do. I don't want think to stop me from getting my surgery.

Next I'm having an issue with protien drinks. I have tried pure protien and I just can't drink it. It's so nasty. And I have heard that they are all like that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

princessfrogee
on 5/25/11 10:30 pm - AL
All the drinks are not bad.  THE best one I have had I get at Sam's Club.  It tastes NOTHING like the others.  It is a pre-made chocolate shake by Premier Nutrition.  It has 30g protein, 1g sugar, 3g fat.  It is almost like drinking choc. milk. 

EAS Myoplex Lite (In Chocolate, Vanilla is horrible) is also good, not as creamy as the Premier though.  It has 20g protien, 4g sugar, 2g fat  You can get that at Sam's or Wal-Mart.  You can also buy this one in powder form in Choc. and Vanilla.  I have not tried the the powder form so I cannot say on that. 

You can also add unflavored protein to other foods. Hope that helps.

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/11 10:56 pm - Boston, MA
 the pre op diet was easy for me because when I wanted to eat something I just said to myself is this worth the risk of an unsafe surgery?  It makes the surgery so much easier when your liver is not all fatty.. just keep telling yourself that.  You can do it, you just have a few more days!
Melissalove3
on 5/26/11 12:32 am - Portland, OR
You need to make a decision!!!! Either your in or out! The pre op is just temporary, you will get to eat again and normal foods!! PROMISE~

You don't want them to get in there an realize that you liver is too fatty and then you got put under for nothing!!!  Buckle down you can do this, You only have 5 days.  

Don't cheat yourself of a wonderful opportunity!

jazzycatz
on 5/26/11 12:51 am - Joppa, MD
Protein shakes are a challenge for a lot of us, but you need to get them in.   At least right after surgery anyway.  It''s important to your healing.  And your body will begin taking protein from your muscles if it needs it.  Think about it....your heart is a muscle. 

You cannot try just one protein shake and say you have heard they are all that way and just throw in the towel.  You have to research and try again.  I would recommend vitalady.com for samples of different proteins.  And you can talk to them in GNC and they will often mix up a bit of certain ones for you to try.  Or call up different companies and ask about samples.  Don't buy a lot of any specific kind prior to surgery.  Your taste will most likely change and you will end up with a giant tub of something you don't like. 

There is Isopure if you want to try something clear.  Get the large bottles not the small if you decide to try them.  Vitashoppe has them.  The small bottles taste completely different than the large. 

Unjury has a chicken broth protien if you need something savory.  I hated it, but others really liked it. 

Unflavored protein does not mean it has no flavor.  So you add that to things that are a stronger flavor than the protein.  You can't just dump a scoop in some cottage cheese and expect not to taste it.  Learned that lesson the hard way.  lol 

If you just can't take the whey protein you might try Jay Robb shakes.  That's an egg white protein and easier for some to take.  But try to stick with whey protein isolate if you can. 

Last, check out bariatricfoodie or theworldaccordingtoeggface  Both sites have great shake recipes as well as loads of wls friendly dishes to whip up.  You have to work with the shakes sometimes to get something you like. 

And I don't want to sound harsh but you really need to try to commit to your pre-op diet.  This is not a plan that you can just decide you don't want do anymore after you have the surgery.  Don't waste your first year.  Start practicing your new habits now. 

Good Luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 288 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views