Brain Fog?

mainegal
on 5/29/11 10:40 pm - Thomaston, ME
I would appreciate your input. During the past several months I have had days where I have difficulty concentrating, staying on track, being distracted, staring at the computer at work and having to remind myself what I was going to do, I enter rooms wondering what I was going in there for. Other days I am sharp as a tack. Needless to say my work is suffering and I have been spoken to about my performance.

I have started having night sweats 2,3,4 times a week which started this past winter. To the point that I am dripping wet, tear the sheets off and cool down with cold wet washclothes.

So do you think this is a RNY problem , menopause, depression or some other issue?
I get my 50-60 grams of protein in. I haven't had a period in years, not even after RNY did it come back. I am 55 years old. I have gained back some weight.

I have been reading on-line and find information from menopause, depression, Lyme disease to gluten to artificial sweetner being the causes.

I have cut down on the carbs, trying to limit my use of splenda in coffee, getting out in the sunshine, being more active, back on track with my diet.

Any ideas?
I do have my annual gyn. visit this coming Friday and have that on my list of things to discuss.

Emily     SW 320, Pre Surg 271.3, Lowest 189.8 Current 212.9 GW -155-188
Continuing the weight loss journey 10 pound goals at a time.  June 2011

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/11 10:45 pm
Maybe some of the vitamin guru's with chime in, but how are your labs looking?  Are you taking your vitamins? I had surgery a few weeks before you and sometimes get foggy, too.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Meg_S
on 5/29/11 10:48 pm - Natick, MA
I think it sounds like menopause. I would see your gyn to be sure and also ask if there is something that will help with the symptoms.

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 5/29/11 10:48 pm
Sounds like menopause. Perfect timing for your Gyn exam.
Sandy  

keepitoff91
on 5/29/11 10:56 pm
Are you taking any medications?  Could be a menapause/malabsorption combo. 

mainegal
on 5/29/11 11:21 pm, edited 5/29/11 11:21 pm - Thomaston, ME
Thank you.
My labs last Oct were perfect. I take 2 multi vits, 2500mg vit. B12-sub lingual,   2000i.u's Vit D and "try" to get my calciums in.

I'm hoping for the menopause- perhaps some hormone replacement  will help?

Edited: just an example of my spacey-ness. Didn't spell check

Emily     SW 320, Pre Surg 271.3, Lowest 189.8 Current 212.9 GW -155-188
Continuing the weight loss journey 10 pound goals at a time.  June 2011

Kelly S.
on 5/29/11 11:58 pm
Hey Emily, I am that way today too.  I have days like that too.  This morning I was actually wondering if I should even be driving a car.... Hope to see you Saturday, 10 am, same place.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 5/30/11 3:22 am, edited 5/30/11 3:26 am
menopause........!

I started early stages of menopause at the age of 30,I am now 37. I use to could stand outside in the blazing heat and BARELY break a sweat. NOW, I can put on a shirt be oustside 10 minutes and the underarm sweat stains start,my back as well. I now wear very sheer materials and tanks. I take black cohosh sold at puritans pride.com. I take these during the spring and summer. My bestfriend laughs at me sometimes because she is cold natured and I told her I am blazing! I hung my head out of her car going down the highway like a dog getting cooled off. hahahahahahahaha
The night swaets, have had several. Had to come out of my nighshirt,off my sheet and laid there in the buff.
There is a company that sells menopause cooling spray and it really works. I forgot the name but I'm sure amazon or by searching you will find it.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

LilnAK
on 5/30/11 5:00 am
Hi Emily,
I know when I have brain fog, it's the first indication my thyroid levels are off. In addition, night sweats are a symptom of hypothyroidism. Have you had your thryoid levels checked? I'm only 2 & 1/2 weeks out from surgery so I'm curious to know if the weightloss will effect my thyroid levels. But it wouldn't hurt to have your levels checked. Good luck figuring it out.
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
SoulLips
on 5/30/11 1:23 pm - Cloverdale, CA
My first inclination is that this sounds hormonal... possibly caused by menopause or a thyroid imbalance as another person suggested.  It's definitely time to get some labs done and see if your doctor can get to the bottom of things.  You may want to go to an endocrinologist if something hormonal shows up in your labs.  Good luck... that sounds really unpleasant.

Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 237 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 321 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 125 views