Being Told I am to Skinny

slvbullet
on 6/5/11 11:12 pm - Cherry Hill, NJ
 Having a tough time.  I am 12 months out.  I was 293 down to 148.  I still want to lose at least 18 more.  I am 5'.  But here is the kicker I am being told I am getting to skinny that I need to stop losing.  I am getting it from home, work.  At first it's great but now it's getting old.  I don't know what to think.  It's really starting to bother me.  Especially my loved one saying I am getting to skinny.  What do you all think?
poet_kelly
on 6/5/11 11:18 pm - OH
Tell people you're working closely with your doctor to make sure you're a healthy weight and your doc says your current weight is just fine for your height (I'm assuming that's true - I am 5'4" and 123 lbs and I believe I'm a healthy weight).  Tell them your blood tests are good and you're otherwise healthy, too (again, assuming that's true.)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 6/5/11 11:22 pm

This seems to be a common problem.  At 5' and 130, you shouldn't be too thin.  If you're really muscular or have a lot of extra skin, then it might be.  I think it really is that people aren't used to seeing us thin.  And, we do seem to get gaunt - well, at least I'm looking a little too thin in the face.

Congrats on your weight loss -- nearly 150lbs in a year is really really amazing!

Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

flyingwoman
on 6/5/11 11:23 pm
Just like it often takes a long time for our brains to catch up with the idea of a major weight transition, others can sometimes have trouble too. Their mental conception of you is properly at a higher weight. Also, if they know about the surgery, they might be concerned that you can't stop losing if you wanted to.

In short: don't let it bother you. Set your goals with you and your care team and no one else. Also, you could try not talking about your goals with others. If you don't seem to be dieting and don't seem to be trying to lose weight they may not even notice that you are losing weight.
Frank_B
on 6/5/11 11:29 pm - Woodbridge, NJ
I hear what you are saying,  i just started getting those same comments the last few weeks ( i am 9 moths out)  and it is getting to bother me too.

I look at it this way,  People were so used to see the old you and saw you that way for a long time and are comparing the new you to the old you, they just haven't had the time to adjust to the new you yet.

I just say hey in time they will get used to me how i am now and the comments should stop

GREAT job on your weight loss!!!!!
busy_blond
on 6/5/11 11:55 pm - Tyler, TX
people are just having a hard time adjusting to the new you. I've started getting the too skinny comments and I still weigh 169 and wear a size 12. Pretty sure that doesn't classify as too skinny in anyone's book, but it's a heck of alot skinnier that where I started. LOL Give them time, they will get used to it.
Leann

LabLimo
on 6/6/11 1:50 am - San Diego, CA
I hear this ALOT... I just remind folks that my BMI is now within normal limits.  But the bottom line is it is YOUR body.

Anne

My pouches name is Satan!!!
Height 5'10" Goal weight 165
      Current weight 145

Katari
on 6/6/11 1:56 am - OR
I wouldn't worry about it until YOUR DR. says your losing to much weight. I'm 5'2 and go between 125 and 130 weight wise, and yes, i'm NOT supposed to lose any more weight, per my Dr. (and my hubby) and I agree. This weight is okay, a little higher is probably better but I really can't go much lower! 

I agree with a previous poster who said tell them you are working closely with your DR. and your nutritionist.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/11 4:38 am
Initially - once we lose the weight - we look too thin. Specially on the face. I know that I did.
I didn't see that - but some of my friends did.  Finally I was able to see myself in pictures and I really looked to thin. Was I too thin? not really - but the way the skin was "hanging on me" it didn't look healthy.
A year later - I did not regain any weight - but my fat got "moved around: and I no longer looked too skinny> I was still maintaining and was really thin (too thin for me).
Between year  2- 3 I regained some weight 9as my doc predicted), gladly - in right spots... I did gain a bit too much to my liking - but I know I can lose the extra 10 lbs. and no more than that. (I gained back 25).  I am happy where I am now. I am much stronger, developed muscles and finally have some shape (used to have flat butt after losing all the weight) and my ass is back. 

As long as you are getting enough nutrition, and staying on top of your labs and other issues, and have enough energy - let the body takes you where it wants to go. It is much easier (for most people) to regain 2-3 years post op, than to lose initially.  
For the good friends that worry about you, try to tell them that you are grateful they care, but you are under the doc care and working on that in a healthy way.  leave it at that. And if they force the issue - look at them and ask them not talk to you about the weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

slvbullet
on 6/6/11 6:21 pm - Cherry Hill, NJ
Thanks everyone for the replys. It's great to know we are all not alone out here. It's awesome! I guess this is just another bump in my journey, one bump I will get over.

THANK YOU ALL
Most Active
Recent Topics