Almost Passed Out

Narnia2003
on 6/8/11 7:32 am - PA
Hello! Just wanted some feed back.. i am 1 week post op.. and i have almost passed out several times! It started when i took the tape off my first incision....2 days ago.. well i finished the other 4 incisions today.. BUT i did it laying down and stayed laying down for a while after.. well i was in the shower.. and BOOM.. almost hit the tub....then my mom was here.. and BOOM she had to catch me.. now i think it may be mental.. becuase i see the incisions and they arent healed yet...but with others i am great with this kind of stuff.. my dad had open heart surgery and i was the only one who could help him change his dressings becuase it didnt bother me.. but i think becuase it is on me.. on my body i am having alot of trouble.. any idea??
azreggie
on 6/8/11 7:44 am - Tucson, AZ
Relax and don't forget to breathe.  Just remember to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk and this too shall pass. You're alright.

Reggie

kaleidos
on 6/8/11 7:58 am
It is funny how our minds do weird things when it comes to this kind of stuff. A lot of people (including medical professionals) can handle all sorts of injuries and trauma to other people...and get faint when they have a paper cut. ;) I know a nurse who gave out hundreds of shots each week and did even more blood draws without a problem, but frequently fainted when she donated blood or got shots herself. (Personally my own wounds or shots don't bother me, but everytime they stick my "babies" ie cats and dog I get all funky. If I had human kids I would probably be even worse!)

So yup, it is normal. Just know it is likely to happen and be prepared (sit or lie down, have assistance, etc.) and don't worry or be embarassed about it. It is just one of those things that happens to many people.

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
nomoresugar
on 6/8/11 8:35 am, edited 6/7/11 8:35 pm
In addition to that, be sure it isn't dehydration. That will absolutely contribute to fainting. I know, I broke lots of things when I fainted and had another surgery and 2 months in a wheel chair. Be careful. Definitely mention it to your doctor, they need to know.
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 6/8/11 8:45 am
You could be dehydrated. Bandages or not you might be passing out from lack of water. We need so much as post ops - that's why you can always identify us by the water bottles we carry. lol. I passed out when I was 10 days post op - lack of water landed me on the bathroom floor and chipped my tooth. Had to up my water intake to about 80 ounces a day. 64 ounces wasn't enough for me back then. Started more water and never had it happen again. Religiously did over 100 ounces of water for many years after that and it never returned. I don't do as much now but still drink water all day long - more when it's hot out. good luck - call your doc if you're concerned.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Dave Chambers
on 6/8/11 9:02 am - Mira Loma, CA
It could be several different things. New post ops usually have issues drinking enough water, and dehydration is the number one reason for post ops being readmitted to the hospital. This can be serious too. Our bariatric nurse told us on Monday, that our surgeon had a patient who almost had kidney failure from lack of fluids.  Be sure you get plenty of protein daily too, probably mostly from protein shakes at this early stage post op.  I had dizzy issues, and fainted 2-3 times in my home and very brief periods while out of the house.  It worried me, and I had several appointments with my PCP over several month. I had many tests and finally had a referral to a cardiologist. One more Holter Monitor Test and I had a diagnosis. I needed a pacemaker. There are at least 3 other post ops in my surgeon's practice with similar outcomes. I tended to have a relatively low bp all of my life. It got lower after surgery. Cardio doc said that short periods of high bp would return to normal, and that every once in a while the return to normal would dip.  This "dip time" was when I would get very dizzy or pass out.  Diagnosis was on a Thursday, and pacemaker was implanted the following Tuesday.  Try to drink more water and if the issue still persists, make sure you make your surgeon aware of this issue. Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sasrah1972
on 6/8/11 10:23 am - NY
I am the same way! I am 3 weeks yesterday post-op, and my steristrips were curling up like crazy. Finally, I called the nurse and told her I was sticking to my clothes and she told me I could take them off. I nearly passed out too. Just the idea of having so many holes in my body, well, that put me over the edge.

You might consider putting bandaids over them. I did--just didn't want to look at them!

Feel good!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Narnia2003
on 6/8/11 10:37 am - PA
Thank you all for the advice! I am trying to meet my 64oz goal but have yet to hit it...its really hard! but i will get there!

@ Sasrah i am so glad i am not the only one!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 47 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views