Baylor or Medical City in Dallas with Dr, Kuhn

nana2boys
on 6/8/11 3:24 pm
I will be having surgery soon with Dr. Kuhn because of being high risk.  I have my choice of Baylor or Medical City.  Which do you think would give me better care.  Also does his office have good follow up care.  I live about 1 1/2 hours away.  Thanks

pamelatx111
on 6/8/11 5:51 pm - TX
I see Dr Barnes and am also high risk. I am having my surgery at Balyor Dallas. I think they have a better facility for our situation.

Laugh Often. Regret Nothing!                               Surgery date 7/18/11
Don 1962
on 6/8/11 11:00 pm
Have you posted this on the TX state board?

Dr. Kuhn did mine at Baylor and yes they have good follow up.  Like you I'm also an hour and half out to the south/southeast of Dallas.  Both of his offices are a pain in the butt to get to but from here on out I'll be seeing him at Med City.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

hopefully70
on 6/9/11 12:47 am - Dallas, TX
I don't usually post, I just surf for information. I noticed your question about my Doctor. Dr Kuhn is one of the best in this field. I had my surgery done at Baylor and had excellent care. On my follow up visits, it varies, i mostly choose his Baylor office, but on occasions if I need to be seen quickly I will go to his Medical City office. 2 things you should know, if you don"t already, 1st is the PA that was there is no longer at any of these offices, so Dr Kuhn is very busy, his new PA is always available but everyone wants to see Dr Kuhn. With that said, the 2nd  thing you should know is that once you have your appointment, your wait time in the waiting room will be a long time. But my thought on this is....I would rather see a waiting room full of people that have done there research to know that this Dr. is very good at what he does, rather than in a waiting room that was pretty much empty and I would have to question his credientials. This is just my opinion and experience.
nana2boys
on 6/9/11 6:38 am
Thank you so much.  I just saw him once for the initial consultation to see if he could even help me.  Lot of complications due to the molina band years ago.  The drs here in tyler would not touch me and referred him to me.  I did reseach his creditials and felt I would be in very good hands.

I had all the test he required and should get my call to set my surgery date in a few days.  I am leaning toward Baylor since my grandson died at Medical City.  No fault of Medical City, but just sad memories, but would go there if they offered b etter care.
symm2112
on 6/9/11 7:10 am
I used Dr. Kuhn for my RNY and was VERY pleased with the him. I had my surgery at Medical City and really liked it. I wasn't too happy with Baylor but that's probably superficial since I seemed to get lost inside and outside the hospital.

I will be honest that I have had some issues with one of his PA's, which it sounds like may be gone.

Right before I was set to come back to work, I had an issue where I was in considerable pain and couldn't lie down comfortably. I called at 5:30AM and actually got Dr. Kuhn. He told me to go into the Baylor office that morning and he'd get me seen. I went in, did the Xrays that he wanted and went back to his office. Even though I threw up 3 times while waiting in the waiting room for the Xrays and had to run out of his office while we were talking to throw up again, he basically said that there was nothing wrong with me. My wife actually got angry and raised her voice to the point where the nurse had to close the door. That was my only bad experience with him and the Baylor office.

Also, another way to plan would be if you knew what days you'd be having your surgery. He operates at Baylor on Mondays and med city on Thursdays but his staff moves around so if you're going to have your follow ups early in the week, you'll get Baylor but for thursdays and fridays, you'll get Med city.

BTW, I was high risk as well. BMI of 57, 5'8" 375 lbs and now 9 months later, I'm 228lbs. He did wonders and I was really pleased. Very low complications and very little pain. Good luck!
nana2boys
on 6/9/11 2:31 pm
Thanks, I posted on the Texas forum as well

turtle829
on 6/11/11 1:18 am
Revision on 08/04/15
Dr Kuhn is the best... I have had experiences with both hospitals, between family & friends, both facilites are really good... but I prefer Baylor..

best wishes... you are in great hands with Dr. Joseph Kuhn.

Vicki
Most Active
Recent Topics