Searching for protein shakes

K_Behr
on 6/10/11 12:30 pm
I am 10 days away from surgery and am searching for protein mixes. can you please recommend something that you liked or tell me something you didn't so I can avoid. Thank you!

Kristi N.
on 6/10/11 12:34 pm - NC
I'm pre-op, too, and my DH & I found whey protein at Walmart with 52g of protein per 2 scoop serving. We got chocolate & vanilla.
HW 244lbs SW 232lbs CW 148lbs GW 125-130lbs                     
LilnAK
on 6/10/11 12:36 pm
I love my Isopure Zero Carb shakes - especially the strawberries & cream! It's pretty expensive but it doesn't taste like a protein shake and has a lot of protein (50 grams per 2 scoops).
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
facethemusic
on 6/10/11 12:42 pm
Everyone is different.  I absolutely hated Iso Pure which has been dubbed Iso Puke in my house because it makes me sick.  I love Syntrax Nectar but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that hate it.

What I wish I would of done and did end up doing was ordering samples of anything I thought sounded good.  I got mine from www.vitalady.com  On her site my favorites are the Cherry, Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel Syntrax Nectar.  I also absolutely adore the Chocolate Coconut and Cinnamon Roll BSN Lean Dessert. 

Keep in mind your tastes will change after surgery as well.  I would order samples that sound like something you will like and try them after surgery.  That will give you a chance to figure out what you like best, what your pouch tolerates and what you want to buy.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Price S.
on 6/10/11 12:46 pm - Mills River, NC
what facethemusic said.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ashley K.
on 6/10/11 12:46 pm
I started with Atkins low carb (low sugar) protein shakes that are premade and Unjury unflavored protein powder.  I tried the protein powder before surgery in food with no issues, but after surgery the smell of it made me so sick it didnt matter what I mixed it in I was so nauseated and gagged whenever tried to force myself to eat it.  I still buy the atkins shakes and now I use max protein powder. 

cajungirl
on 6/10/11 12:52 pm
I agree order samples. Your taste probably will change after surgery.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

K_Behr
on 6/10/11 1:00 pm
Thank you for your ideas. I'm just VERY overwhelmed about these protein shakes. So many choices!
Sasrah1972
on 6/10/11 1:24 pm - NY
I've tried a few in the 3 weeks since my surgery. Ones I've liked: Synthax Nectar (chocolate, vanilla, cappucino, but not the fruit flavors) and Bariatric Advantage (banana). Myoplex premade is decent, esp. if you mix with decaf instant coffee (crystals--just shake it up). But yes, your tastes will change...try a bunch.
kaleidos
on 6/10/11 3:01 pm
A great big "ditto" on the samples.

I am now just a few days away, and since so many people mentioned that tastes change post surgery I bought a sample of each flavor that sounded good and then made up half a packet to try. I sealed the other half tightly in a plastic bag and will try them again post-op to make sure I still like them before committing to buying more. 

It really seems to be personal taste when it comes to protein powders. Recommending what I like and dislike probably is not a good predictor as to what you will like. ('Tho my current favorites are the Syntrax Nectars, Unjury chicken broth flavor, 4Ever Fit Black Raspberry and Tropical Mango.)

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views