How do I find people from Canada, Quebec. Vitamin info needed.

Betty Jo L.
on 6/10/11 8:22 am
 Hi Everyone, please don't get me wrong I love reading all your posts and taking your information. I am asking this is for vitamin wise and what there suggestions are to get some and what kind. I know in the states there are some specifally made for patients who have had this surgery. Was looking for the same type in canada.
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
mamahally
on 6/10/11 9:21 am - Canada
You could try asking that question here

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/QC/

I live in Ontario and I just buy multivites, iron and calcium citrate at Costco.  I also buy my protein drinks there-Premier protein.  I get my B12 by script from my doctor and buy dry Vitamin D from Vitalady who is a member here.

Good luck with all
JoAnn 

mermaidoz
on 6/10/11 9:43 am, edited 6/10/11 1:54 pm - Canada

If you click on FORUMs and then on INTERNATIONAL you will find the Quebec and Ontario boards...so ask all your questions to the locals as to vitamins, but  you can get most in any pharmacy, including B-12 without the need for prescription, available in 1000 mcg strips by Jamieson, or a variety of brands of sub-lingual dots also in a variety of strengths from 250 mcgs up to 1000 mcgs...ditto for calcium citrate and vit D..

BTW we have the same surgeon, and he recommends what you should take post surgery.....When you have your surgery, he gives you a big folder with your eating rules and a list of vits and and supplements to take.   I have found everything I needed to take in my local pharmacy...If you have any questions, email  or call his nurse practitioner...all the phone numbers and contacts are in the folder you were given...

Edited to add: Sorry didn't realize you are still presurgery...don't worry about your vitamins and supplements, Dr. Christou's folder he gives you when you've had surgery explains all...and you will not need to take iron unless your bloodwork shows you are anaemic.  You will come in for a check-up at about 3 weeks, and then 3 months and bloodwork may be done then or at 6 months...on the basis of that, you may have to increase from one multivitamin a day to two, and have your supplements tweaked.  I use Centrum Select 50 Chewable  and have only needed one a day since surgery...my vit D was low especially in winter, so had to increase that...my Vitamin B-12 was fine taking 1000 mcg strip by Jamieson every second day, and I take calcium citrate  about 1000-1200 mg a day and some forms of it also come with vit D , but I try to get at least 2000 iu because my bloodwork showed it was low...Dr. Christou's nurse practitioner is there to help you post surgery with advice by email or phone. All info will be in your folder .  More importantly you will also get instructions on your meal plan and eating advice post surgery...but if you want to check out his meal plan before surgery, go to his private practice website (for all sorts of great info):

www.weighlosssurgery.ca

and for info on supplements he recommends see this:

http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca/en/aftersurgery/followups/gastricbypass/vitaminssupplements

Good Luck, you are in the bestest of hands, he really is a good surgeon.( Chief of Bariatric Surgery at Royal Victoria Hospital and Prof of Bariatric Surgery at McGill University, and internationally renowned expert on WLS) Unfortunately he doesn't do DS, but he does everything else ( Band, RnY, VSG)..

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/10/11 9:42 pm - Windsor, Canada
Try the Quebec board on here and if there's not much happening, feel free to pop over to the
Ontario board since we're neighbours :)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views