Iron Pills? do you need to take them.

Betty Jo L.
on 6/10/11 8:28 am
 Do you really have to take Iron Pills with this surgery. My sugeon never mentioned that I need Iron pills.
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
4_them_2
on 6/10/11 8:36 am - Northern, VA
I was anemic prior to surgery so I still need supplemental support.
TamaraL
on 6/10/11 9:02 am
most women that still have periods need to take iron or they will develp anemia.  Have you had your labs done?? 

I was taking iron and my iron levels were still low!!  I just recently had iron infusions.  One of my WLS friends had the surgery the same day and her potassium is low.  Just really depends on ur iron

Ashley K.
on 6/10/11 9:08 am, edited 6/10/11 9:09 am
My iron levels weren't low before surgery, and my doctor recommended taking iron supplements in addition to that in the multivitamin anyway, and so I do and I have had no problems with iron levels.  But your surgeon will know your situation best and you could always talk to them or their nurse about supplements.

Bkritty
on 6/10/11 9:23 am
My surgeon asked me to start taking an Iron supplement prior to surgery. If your surgeon recommends it..you should do it. You do not want to go in for major surgery with low iron levels. The Iron that my surgeon has me taking is called "gentle Iron" made by sundown naturals. It is Iron Glycinate. The nice thing about it is that it includes the Vitamin C, folic acid and B-12 that you will also need so you get it all in one pill. Its only about $5 a bottle. Good luck to you!

rbb825
on 6/10/11 1:52 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not that familiar with iron glyconate but you say it has vitamin C, folic acid and vitamin B12?  what are the dosages?  For every 30mg of iron, you need 200mg of vitamin C and usually in combination irons, you get not nearly enough vitamin C which means you won't absorb your iron properly.  Also, if you are counting on absorbing your B12, if this isn't a sublingual - it is useless.  In order to absorb B12 after gastric bypass, you need to get it via sublingual or injections and I also doubt the dosage of the B12 would be enough either.  You need a minimum of 1000mcg daily of sublingual B12 and most need alot more.  The folic acid is good but most of us get plenty in a good  multi like centrum taking it twice daily.

The irons that are most absorbable to gastric bypass and DS patients are carbonyl and heme irons. Heme is very expensive, so carbonyl is usually where most of us start and it works great.  It is also pretty cheap if you buy it online.  You can get a bottle of 400 capsules at vitalady.com called Tender irons - they have the vitamin C in the proper proportions in them.  They are 60mg per capsule with 400mg of vitamin C and depending on your iron and ferritin levels, determines how many you need to take per day.  The bottle can last about 6 months to a year, depending on how many you take per day

B12 sublinguals you can get in any pharmacy  = they are cheap.

I am not telling you ignore your surgeon, I am just trying to give you a suggestion that has helped a great majority of us here on OH.

poet_kelly
on 6/10/11 9:25 am - OH
The ASMBS says menstruating women do.  Otherwise, if there is iron in your multi, you don't need extra unless your labs show you do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 6/10/11 10:39 am
I had never had problems with anemia even when pregnant. I'm 47, had a hysterectomy and now anemic. Find out what your labs show including TBIC, ferritin and iron saturation.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

rbb825
on 6/10/11 2:00 pm - Suffern, NY
All gastric bypass patients need iron, whether you are still getting your periods, post menopausal or a man.  If you are still getting your periods it is an absolute must.  We dont' absorb iron from our foods anymore and you are losing blood every month.  Your malabsortion will cause you to become anemic pretty quickly.  If your iron and ferritin levels were okay preop, then you have some cushion to keep you for a little while but you will lose it.

My iron and ferritin were great preop and my NUT doesn't start patients on iron until we are 1 month out when we can swallow pills - not sure why she doesn't have us use chewables, I guess she figures we have enough cushion.  And she is a great NUT.  Well, I had my first labs at 5 weeks out and sure enough I was already iron deficient.  Thankfully, by time I got the results I was already on high dose iron since she starts all patients on 150mg of iron, so I was fine and within a month, I was back to normal.  The day of my surgery, I also woke up with my period and turned out to be my last one.  I am now post menopausal.  If I had continued to stay off iron, things would have been bad.  It is also a good thing that she does labs early and frequent. 

Most Active
Recent Topics