Insurance finally approved...surgery scheduled!

virvin
on 6/14/11 1:36 pm - CO
I got the call today that the insurance company finally approved my RNY surgery.  It is scheduled for 6/23.  I didn't realize how close that is and I still have a lot of questions.  You all have been wonderful here and I am looking for some post-surgery responses.

1.  How bad was the pain in the stomach after the surgery?  I mean, I know we are all different, but is it hard to get out of bed, or get out of a chair or even sit in the car?

2.  I understand I'm going to have a morphine drip after the surgery.  It takes a lot of drugs to keep me pain free...should I tell them this?  I tore the meniscus from my right knee and they gave me 2 injections of morphine and it didn't even TOUCH the pain.  How do I explain that without feeling like a junkie.

3.  Did you have to have a lot of help at home after you were discharged?  I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment.  My family is going to take care of my dog for me for the first week.  I know I have to walk, but did you need more than that kind of help?

4.  How do I make it through these last 9 days?  I got the call today and got so nervous I felt like I was going to be sick.  I know I'm making the right decision, but it's still scarey.

Thanks, everyone!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

macjuicy
on 6/14/11 1:49 pm, edited 6/14/11 1:55 pm - FL
Thanks, everyone! First off Congrats, I had my surgery on 5/23 so i think i can answer these, well my opinion anyway lol

1. The worst pain after surgery, main part of the day you will be out of it, after that the most painful part for me was the gass feeling pain you get, they make you get up and walk right away WALK WALK WALK that makes it hurt less. getting out of a chair or bed wasent bad but i needed some help, it does go away you just need to walk alot... remember they fill your belly with gas so most of that pain is release of the gas that in there.

2. Your not gonna get heavy pain meds like Morphine (well after surgery I mean), the strongest i got was demerol and that wasent very strong... but all surgeons are diffrent, but from what Ive read you wont be getting killer meds for pain. But your not gonna be in pain so bad that you will need strong meds like that.

3. I think help is def a big factor in recovery especially when you first get home, if you dont have an elevator in your building you better make arragements to maybe stay at a family or friends climbing stairs will be very bad atleast first 2 weeks.

4. its def a life changing decisions and of course a risk, i was very scared myself and no matter what they said to me you cannot be prepared for this until you do it... example i havent eaten anything but liquids for almost 4 weeks and ive already had 1 complication that admited me in hospital recently for 4 days... but the good out weighs the bad I have already lost 34 lbs and Im down to an XL shirt which makes me estatic..... just eat it up from now to then enjoy quantities of your fav foods trust me do it LOL

Overall the worst part of doing this entire surgery was waking up with the breathing tube down my throat that was tough...... get yourself mentally ready for that all the rest will fall into place

Read my blog, I have been writting all of my journey you can get an idea from it

Good Luck!!!

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Bettisima
on 6/14/11 3:10 pm, edited 6/14/11 3:11 pm
I had my surgery on May 16, so I haven't forgotten much

1. I have a high pain threshold. I was told the goal was to keep my pain at a 3. Not specifically pain free. Pain has a good place in our lives, by letting us know when we do too much. I did have a morphine pain pump. I used it a bit the first day. I hated the hospital bed. It was a ***** to get out of. I spent most of my time in the recliner, having the two arms to use to get myself up and steady myself was great.

There is nothing wrong with disclosing your past reactions to pain medications. If you go at it with a, this is what my surgery history has been, you aren't going to sound like an addict.

You will have a limitation on how much you can lift. This is the biggest indication of how much help you will need. The first day home my husband was johnny on the spot with water and protein every hour. Day two at home, I told him I needed to get it, because I needed to move. It would be good for someone to check in on you. But you don't need someone on standby every minute you are home. You will sip your water, sip your protein and walk laps around the apartment. Getting ready for regular trips up and down 2 flights of stairs may take a day or two.

I was so busy at work, getting things ready for my 6 week leave that I never really gave a lot of thought to my actual surgery. I was going to be out of the office, and things needed to be done. Same can be said for home. I have 16 y/o twins, and it was plotting out their needs and making sure hubby had everything covered. Panic hit, just an hour before surgery, when my surgeon came in to talk to me and answer any last minute questions. Hubby said he watched my face closely, to see if it was time to take the chicken exit. I didn't, and things seem to go well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 8 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views