How did you feel post-op?

shellykayd
on 6/19/11 5:19 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
I've only had four surgeries in my life.  Almost all of them I have woke up throwing up for HOURS.  When I donated a kidney to my son, this didn't happen, I don't know what they did differently.

Also, how is pain between having it open and doing it laproscopically?  I had my gallbladder out laproscopically and it was AWFUL!  I wasn't in as much pain when I donated a kidney and that was an open surgery!

How much pain/vomiting did you experience?  I'm not too worried about the pain, I have a fairly high pain threshold, but the vomiting.....I HATE that.

I want to know what I'm getting into I guess.  I have to figure out the financial side of things, but really need to learn what I can to know if I CAN do this.

My BMI is over 50 and I'm labeled "super morbidly obese"  Amazingly my blood pressure and sugar levels are all normal (for now).  I do have bad arthritis (I'm only 38) in my lower joints (I have some in my neck too, I think it's from my breasts being so large and heavy).

I want the cold hard truth.....had bad was it?  How long did the "bad" last.  I realize that some people have more trouble than others and there's always a chance of complications and risk of death and all that.

A friend of mine had this surgery about 8 years ago.  She STILL will vomit for no apparent reason.  I guess she's pretty much use to it by now, but......is that normal?

Thanks!

Shelly
Sillycar
on 6/19/11 5:31 am
I am three days post op from laproscopic rny and I have hardly any pain. I didn't take any pain meds today and yesterday I only took one dose at bedtime as I was having a hard time falling asleep. The only discomfort that I feel today is a bit of grogginess left over from the anesthesia and I am not very comfortable if I lay on my side. For some reason, my innards just aren't happy with that yet. I have had several major surgeries before (osteotomy on my leg with two staples and two inches of bone removal), valve replacement on my kidneys, adult tonsilectomy, etc. This is without a doubt the least painful surgery I have had. My surgeon stopped by my hospital room yesterday morning and I was sitting indian stlye on my hospital bed waiting for my discharge paperwork. He said some people throw a fit if they have ever had any sort of surgery before but for many who have experienced any sort of major medical problem requiring surgery before, this one is pretty easy. I am sure there are many varying experiences but this is mine. Good luck!

karif
on 6/19/11 7:03 am - CA
thank you sooooooooooo much for your posts. i am going monday 6/27 and nervous as hell! just reading your posts has helped me relax..thank you again from the bottom of my heart! wish me well!
kari
Heather M.
on 6/19/11 5:31 am - MI
Shelly,

Don't let others' bad experiences scare you. I've noticed that on the help forum, you mostly will find people with bad or worse-off experiences because they are looking for help/guidance. I'd assume, as many others do, that the ones who had it GREAT, really don't post because they just aren't looking for any help or advice. So keep that in mind.

About the nasuea, tell the anesthesiologst that it makes you sick/vomit. They have meds they can give you that wards off that "about to throw up' feeling. I asked for it, and my boyfriend had it here at the house when he had his mouth wired shut. They make suppositories of it too. I just can't think of the name for some reason. Just make sure you tell anyone that will listen that anesthesia makes you want to hurl.

I had the BEST experience. I was not nervous at all, going in. I've done a ton of surgeries before. I didn't even cry as they wheeled me away this time, I was just chilling (It helps that they give you something to relax you). I woke up with minimal pain on the incisions. The worst thing I had was major gas pressure. I wanted to pass gas so badly, but I couldn't until the second day. So, that first night was just 'uncomfortable', and the nurses would come in every little bit to wake me up, so it drove me crazy.

I didn't use the push button for pain after about 30 minutes of waking up. They told me I used it while I ws groggy and waking up, but after I woke up, I didn't use it. They say I have a high tolerance for pain. But I had no bad experiences.

Remember, these surgeries are done everyday, all over the country! It's a pretty much standardized thing, so it's not like your surgeon is 'guessing'. Go in knowing you could have some pain, but don't ASSUME you will, that will make you more nervous. If you are in pain, it can be well controlled with a push of a button! :) Best of luck to you.
poet_kelly
on 6/19/11 5:43 am - OH
I told the anesthesiologist I was worried about nausea after surgery and he assured me he could put something in my IV to prevent it, and he sure did.  The anesthesiologist will speak to you before your operation, so ask about it.

I had lap RNY, and the pain was not awful,  I had a morphine pump and it worked great.  I could just push a button whenever I wanted more morphine.

Now, after I went home from the hospital and had no more morphine, I had a bit more pain.  I had some nausea then, too.

And I've had some complications.  I got gall stones (which probably could have been prevented if my surgeon had had the sense to give me Actigall), I do get nauseous sometimes, I now have gastroparesis (which my GI doc says may or may not be related to the RNY).

It's all been worth it to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

regina67
on 6/19/11 5:51 am - NC
I had laproscopic surgery and I did not have any pain. Since I couldn't sleep in the hospital with people constantly in and out ( taking blood pressure, temperature, etc), I took some pain medicine once I got home to help me sleep but it didn't work. Haven't taken any since. I also have a high tolerance for pain,
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/19/11 6:01 am - OH
I have had a number of open surgeries AND a number of lap surgeries.  Although the gas pain with some of my lap surgeries was bad (and was not very bad with others of them),  NONE of the lap surgeries were anywhere near as painful as my open RNY, my open hernia repair, OR my open tummy tuck!   My open hysterectomy and appendectomy were painful, but not as painful as the abdominal surgeries.  I will say, though, that my lap gallbladder surgery was one of the easiest.

I have never had vomiting after any of my surgeries and did not vomit  AT ALL after my RNY until I was 18 months out and ate some dry chicken too fast.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bettisima
on 6/19/11 6:08 am
I am almost 5 weeks out from lap RNY. my experience was great.

At my 1 week preop appointment. My surgeon gave me a script for the pain meds I would use after I got home, and nausea patches for behind my ear. So I had my house set up prior to surgery.

Surgery itself, really not a lot of pain after. They put one of the nausea patches behind my ear before the surgery. They are meant to stay on for up to 3 days. I took it off my first dull day home, and never needed the others my doctor had made available to me.

I did have a morphine pump, so I could press the little button when I needed to. My stomach was tender, and I didn't stand up straight and stretch the stomach muscles. Walked kind of hunched over a little bit. My gas pain was in my stomach. I didn't have any shoulder pain. I walked and moved around quite a bit. My second night in the hospital, they disconnected the morphine pump, because I hadnt used it for over 6 hours. I took no pain meds after I got home. Ok. Coughing was rough, and you want a pillow or something to press against your stomach when you cough.. And the ride home.

I did not throw up until after 3 weeks post op when I ate some fish that was too dry and it got stuck. Totally my fault and not something I plan on ever repeating. Note about vomiting after RNY, while I don't think anyone should enjoy it, it is different than preop, because there isn't any stomach acid or bile in your pouch. It doesn't burn, and it doesn't have that bile taste. You body will create this thick saliva to attempt to help lubricate the food, some times it works, and sometimes the only relief is to get the stuff up.

3rd day home, I was getting in all of my fluids, all of my protein and doing laps around the house. Dancing a little in the hallway, to which hubby said,can't you be normal and be sickly for at least a few more days.
shellykayd
on 6/19/11 6:26 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
Thanks everyone!  I've had my gallbladder out already (at age 21...a bit young, but after throwing up for 5 months I was ready to have it out!!), so hopefully won't have to worry about stones.   That was the worst surgery I've had and it was laproscopic.  I guess that's why I'm afraid...that and it was the worst as far as throwing up....hurt to throw up because of the surgery and I hate throwing up anyway!

I do remember holding a pillow to my stomach to cough, and when we had to drive to Seattle a few days later for a big surgery for my son (I wasn't driving thankfully).

Tomorrow I'm calling the doctor in Great Falls and seeing what they need to get started at the very least to just see her.

Thanks again!!!!

Shelly
c5felsspirit
on 6/19/11 7:40 am - lake cormorant, MS
I had issues wakingnup after my surgery but all in allit went ok. I did have a very rough first week but its been affectionately referred to as "hell week"

It varies person to person.

I was not ever sick to tummy, I was in pain from the gas and having a heard time getting around. Emotionally I was a mess. But we had just gone thru a traumatic loss of one of my daughters classmates. In fact I was bawling the morning of surgery just before they gave me calming meds because I was missing this girls funeral so I could have my surgery. My hubby laughed later he said one minute you were bawling the next minute you were calm and smiling......

Once I got the drain out after a week I was in a much much better mood.
Sarah   
Living for the moment. Living for me. Loving the moment. Loving me!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics