Any thoughts on... Citracal Calcium Gummies??

Elizabeth Z.
on 6/21/11 3:30 pm - Corning, NY
So, I have recently stumbled on some Citracal Calcium Gummies w/ D3 coupons. I haven't found much information about these, and it's a little too late for me to go running to the store just to read the labels. Has anybody tried these? Are they made with calcium that we can absorb? Any idea on the cost? 

I guess, what I'm getting at... is are these worth my time? I currently take vitamin gummies everyday and I love them! If I could find a calcium supplement in gummy form, that'd be super awesome! (my vitamin gummies make for a great lunch dessert and it's not a chore to eat them!)

Thanks for any help you can offer! 

http://bariatrickitchen.wordpress.com/

Celia S.
on 6/21/11 4:40 pm - Grand Junction, CO
I remember reading that the form of calcium best absorbed by a bariatric patient is Calcium Citrate. The Citracal gummies are made with Tricalcium Phosphate. I'm no expert and you should probably ask your surgeon or NUT if they're okay, but I wouldn't buy them without getting their okay.
Amy R.
on 6/21/11 5:49 pm

Sadly, they're not for us.  You can take them, but you won't absorb any of the calcium.  The ONLY type of calcium we absorb is the calcium citrate.

Kristen M.
on 6/21/11 10:57 pm - VA
What kind of vitamin gummies do you take? I am waiting on my pre-op packet in the mail & my surgery is july 25th. but I am wondering how many times do you have to take vitamins and what vitamins do you have to take everyday/times a day! did you do gummies right off the bat? i'm worried i'm going to have a hard time with them but only time will tell!
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/21/11 11:06 pm - OH
NONE of the gummy vitamins are appropriate for our vitamin needs.  Get a decent chewable multivitamin instead.  Several "bariatric" companies sell them or you can just take plain old Centrum chewables, but do not waste your money on gummy vitamins that do not have anything CLOSE to what we need.

At a MINIMUM, you will need to take 2 multivitamins per day, calcium citrate (500mg each dose) THREE times per day, a B12 sublingual, and an iron supplement (unless you no longer have periods... in which case you might or might not need it).  Almost all of us also need additional Vitamin D as well.  The rest of what you will need to take will depend on your lab results.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Elizabeth Z.
on 6/22/11 12:57 am - Corning, NY
I am taking the Children's Multivitamin Gummies from Sam's Club. I take 3 per day and my labs have always come back perfect! I've been taking them since I was about 4 months post op.

http://bariatrickitchen.wordpress.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/11 1:34 am
you only one year post op.  So if there are deficiencies - you will not see that until year 2 or 3...
and then trying to get  the numbers back up agian is a battle.

The children vits lacking some exxential minerals and vits that are not tested on regular bases. Or never.  You may not even know what you are missing.

BTW: your labs are OK - perfect? hope you got your results and can compare the lab work from before the RNY and after.  to see a trend - see if the number are stable - or are going up or down.  TNot only where are you at the latest lab work but how the numbers are changing over time.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 6/22/11 2:45 am - OH
Could I ask about your zinc, copper and selenium levels?  I think your gummies are missing those.

And what was your B6 last time you had labs done?

Many docs don't bother to check those things, and if you don't get them checked, you don't know if they are perfect or not, of course.  And if you're gonna take vitamins without them, you sure need to get them checked.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/22/11 12:17 am - OH
Do you realize your gummy vitamins are missing a bunch of stuff you really, really need?

So you take copper and zinc and all the B vitamins separately, right?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ThisGirlzReady
on 6/22/11 12:55 am
My Nut explained anything  gummy is not broken down very well and passes on without any real absorption, therefore not getting what is needed.  My choice is the chewable Centrum  and the powdered calcium crystals from Bariatric Advantage 3X daily.  The calcium is added to any drinks with no aftertaste and mixes easily.

Made it to the Century Club!!! Yeah!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 152 views