intestinal issues with protein shakes

princess_raspberry
on 6/22/11 3:36 am
I'm pre-op and trying out different protein shakes to find some I like.  I've noticed that I'm having severe diarrhea after drinking them.  Do I just need to find a different kind or is this an adjustment thing or maybe some other issue?  I've tried different flavors of nectar and unjury and had this issue the past week.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/11 3:43 am - OH
Do you normally have any trouble with milk products or with sugar free items?  Lactose intolerance or sensitivity to sugar alcohols would be the two most likely causes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 3:51 am - TN
VSG on 09/23/11 with
princess_raspberry
on 6/22/11 4:12 am
I'm still pre-op, so I am having solids too.

I've drank/eaten milk in the past without issue - in coffee, cereal, ice cream. I eat yogurt almost daily. I also use a lot of sugar-free products. But, maybe trying lactaid might help? I can try that and see. I was using my kid's 1% organic milk to make the shakes.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/11 4:28 am - OH
It is more likely to be a sensitivity to the sugar alcohols in them, then.  Check the ingredients and see what they are sweetened with.  I know that Unjury's Chocolate Splendor has Splenda in it as opposed to whatever is in their original chocolate.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics