Losing but I can't see it

nancy409
on 6/22/11 9:34 am, edited 6/22/11 9:35 am - PA
I have lost 44 pounds in 10 weeks.  Yes, that is good.  I have gone from a 22 pants to an 18, sometimes 16 depending on the make and style.  My shirts have gone from a 2X to mostly Large, some still XL.  I have lost WAY more on top than the bottom.  I know I still have a lot more to lose but I should be feeling like this is a good start.

Why is it when I look in the mirror I still feel like my body looks like it did 44 pounds ago?  I know I need to firm up and have been trying to exercise more to do that.  People are telling me I look so much better, and down deep I know my body has to look different than when I started this journey.  Is this still the "fat person" mentality that I have.  Has anyone else felt that way?  How do you overcome it? 

Jeanine J.
on 6/22/11 9:52 am
I know how you feel! I don't see the weight that I have lost! I see my fatter self! What I have done is measurements! I measured my Bust, Waist, Hips, Biceps and Thighs. So far since surgery I have lost almost 2 inches in each of those areas! So I have lost 10 inches from my body! lol It shows in measurements! Keep up the great work!

What's worth the PRIZE is ALWAYS worth the FIGHT!                
dkwilliams1
on 6/22/11 10:09 am - AK
I know how you feel !!! I have lost 30 lbs., but can't see it... my jeans are way loose on me though. I guess when we loose more we'll "see" the difference ???

Mary Catherine
on 6/22/11 10:29 am
 It takes time for the brain to catch up, so you will still see your fatter body for a while.  As silly as it sounds, some people take a brown paper bag, cut eye holes and put it over their head and then look in the mirror.  That is a way to trick your brain into seeing just your new body and not the head and face that it associates with the old body.
Dee2011
on 6/22/11 10:29 am - PA
Hi Nancy, I know your feeling.  I have lost 41# since surgery, feel it my clothes they are all so big but haven't broken down and bought new ones yet.  Other people keep telling me how I'm losing and it really show but I don't see it myself. Even the store clerk today said I have really lost weight after she asked for my license.  I suppose once we lose it all then we will realize it.  Good luck on your continued journey.
macjuicy
on 6/22/11 10:40 am - FL
You need to go by how you feel, and your clothes fits, the scale is a tool designed by the Devil to make us feel bad lol... keep working at it you will be at your goal weight sooner than you think

Good luck

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Amy T.
on 6/22/11 12:59 pm - CA
When I did my psych evaluation,  this is something we talked in detail about.  Her practice is limited to WLS patients.  She said early on and sometimes years out it is common for our heads to not catch up with our bodies.

A term she used is Body Dysmorphic Disorder.  She just cautioned me to be aware, and if it continued and became a problem with the way I see myself continued therapy may be in order.  She said it happens in about 80% of the WLS patients she sees.  You are not alone!  You are doing great - just keep on doing what you're doing.  If it gets to the point where you are a year or two out and have lost all your weight and still have this issue,  a call to the psych may be in order.

Good luck and continued success!  44 pounds in 10 week is amazing!!!

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Antonia R.
on 6/23/11 12:15 am - University Park, IL
VSG on 06/11/13
I feel understand what you mean. I think you should take biweekly photos of yourself marking your weight underneath each picture. The visual will help you see your progress.

You didn't get the "fat person" mentality overnight ,so it should take a while to change it. This whole journey is a process. Seek positive people and support. It won't be easy and it is an effort, but it will no longer be a struggle.

Good luck and congratulations on making progress. Remember we cannot succeed with the same mentality that created our problems.
_Donna_
on 6/23/11 12:23 am
My suggestion is to take pictures and compare.
I know, in my case, I look different in the mirror than I do in pictures. Someone told me it was a body dismorphia disorder.

Congrats on your weight loss

RNY 5-5-2011

nancy409
on 6/23/11 12:50 am - PA
thanks everyone.  I looked at my measurments from April until now and I now they show progress, at least 2 inches in every area - especially the bust :)
Guess I just have to work on the self image thing. 

Most Active
Recent Topics