Warning - Disgusting Topic

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/11 11:03 am - OH
Yes, there is a big difference between spitting out that "one bite too many" or something that is not chewing up well in order to avoid becoming ill (I think most of us have done this at least a time or two) and someone who is trying to satisfy a craving without the caloric penalty, BUT... the OP mentioned believing that there was a psychological component to the spitting (and there is really no psychological component to simply not wanting to eat that final bite and then get sick)... and to doing it more than just occasionally... hence the words of caution (both for the OP and for anyone else reading). 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/25/11 12:06 pm - Belleville, IL
Lora-
Ah, my apologies...I didn't see where s/he said there was a psychological component. Sometimes I forget that many of us have no "mental" food issues at all.

ALL of my family (husband, son, MIL) are thin...ALL my weight came onto me from being on very uber high doses of prednisone and NO exercise at all (being wheelchair boound)...I am probably one of the few who can honestly say I have no mental food issues (No binging, no "comfort" issues, etc) Did I eat the WRONG things (high SUGAR, high fat, high fructose corn syrup...) YES, but after surgery I no longer craved them and KNEW they were bad, bad, bad for me and have NO nutritional value.

I had honestly thought s/he was talking about stuff getting stuck which has happened to me when eating gristle (accidently) or taking one bite to many....

If the OP is having psychological issues s/he needs to indeed read some blogs and talk to a counsellor or their Surgeon.

Good luck.
Warmly,
Jackie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/11 12:20 pm - OH
I understand.  You are definitely in the minority as far as not having food issues. :)

It is VERY easy for those of us who do, though, to start something like spitting out food with a good reason and then, as the OP indicated, it starts becoming a habit... and then, eventually, can have nothing to do with it being one bite too many or a bad piece of meat... it becomes a dysfunctional weight control behavior.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 6/25/11 10:25 am
 Pam Tremble posted a good article about why you don't want to make a habit of this.

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/10/chew-and-spit-habit-y ou-dont-want-to.html

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cajungirl
on 6/25/11 10:39 am
You aren't alone I've done it many times.  Especially that last bite that I know will make me miserable.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jeanine J.
on 6/25/11 11:23 am
I have started doing this! I don't to do it but I do because it is one bite too much or it doesn't taste/feel good!

What's worth the PRIZE is ALWAYS worth the FIGHT!                
newtintn
on 6/25/11 1:18 pm - TN
 I have, a few times, taken a bite of something i cant have, chewed it and then spit it out...just so i can have the taste. Ive done it with pizza twice, a chip, and twice with pepsi....Sometimes you just cant help it. Not the best thing to do I know but I dont think I have a problem with it....and I think it shows great will power to put that forbidden food in your mouth and then spit it out instead of swallowing it lol

SI_Mike
on 6/25/11 10:33 pm - NY
RNY on 03/23/11 with
Thank you everyone for the feedback! I will definitly keep an eye on this issue and seek help if needed. Be well.  Mike

HW 484  SW 449  CW 251.5

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 105 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views