Messed up cycles... women only

Celia S.
on 6/24/11 11:17 am - Grand Junction, CO
So I'm really really annoyed at my body right now. Let me start at the beginning...

In December 2010 I was preparing to start back at school to work toward my degree and decided with that going on, the present would be a really bad time to get pregnant, so I saw my PCP about birth control and decided on Depo.

The Depo shot wreaked havoc on my cycles making them super heavy and 2 weeks long so I did not go back to get a refill shot. Well after I stopped the Depo, I was spotting every day for about a month AND I had 2 really heavy periods within 20 days of each other. It was terrible.

So I started my 2nd normal period in a row on the 7th of this month and I was relieved thinking my body was not only back to normal, but I was celebrating having regular periods again. My period ended on the 14th.

Well the 20th rolled around and I started spotting. I didn't think it was a big deal, but now it's been going on for 4 days and it's heavier than spotting. I wasn't even off my period for a whole week before I started bleeding again! WTH?

IDK if it's because of the weight that I've lost in the past month and 1/2 or what, but I thought by losting weight, my cycles would be more regular. GRR! Has anyone elase had this problem? I'm really very sick of it.

facethemusic
on 6/24/11 11:44 am
I hate to tell you, but for me it got worse after surgery.  I'm 9 weeks out and have bleed almost daily since surgery. 

From what I told it is partly due to the weight loss.  Estrogen is stored in fat when we lose fat a crapload of estrogen gets let loose.  Also I was told it is from the stree our bodies are under.  My surgeon said some women skp periods post-op because of this, but many (including myself) stay on it.  

Make sure you're taking your iron and eventually it is supposed to get better. 

I had issues wtih Depo and BC pills prior to surgery.  Since we don't want kids for a few more yeras I'm considering an IUD.  Have you talked to your GYN about that as an option?  It's supposed to be great for women with heavier periods.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

labellavita1982
on 6/24/11 1:43 pm - Neenah, WI
I had my period 6 weeks ago and I  still haven't gotten it for the month of June yet and this month is almost overwith.
Jenny_D
on 6/24/11 2:00 pm - Canton, GA
I have the opposite problem. I have had my period exactly 2x since my last pregnancy ended in August of 2009. But since I'm not trying to get pregnant again, I don't mind at all.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

mdolan20
on 6/24/11 2:32 pm - Brick, NJ
I guess everyone is different in this area too...for the first time since age 13 I've been regular for the past 3 months since surgery...it's a blessing! I hope it gets better for you 
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

roxie46
on 6/24/11 2:56 pm
for me my doctor told me ahead of time that my mental cycle might change the only thing it did was change to 1 week early. I am 5 weeks post op I usually have mine on the 25 every month but May 17th i had my surgery and i started my menral on the 19th and i started this month on the 20th buts its been flowing like I always flowed before the surgery, only change in the time of the month. So its different for everyone. I just wished mine would end since I am done having kids and my fiance agrees with me we both have grown kids so its our time to relax not running after kids all day. Good luck......Roxanne
Jacobsmama08
on 6/24/11 2:51 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
I have the Mirena IUD, have had it for over 3 years, supposedly it's the choice for high blood pressure... since I got it I've had little or no period, months would go by without even spotting. I've literally had the the same box of pantyliners for a couple years... until my surgery. Ten days out from surgery I had my first post-op surgery and bled like some one cut off a limb for a good 7-8 days. 4 weeks later, another super heavy, super long period, which I just ended about a week ago... and this morning, spotting again... AH! It's very annoying, but nice to know it's normal... And from what I hear, should sorta go back to your 'normal' about a year post-op. Hang in there!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Celia S.
on 6/24/11 3:53 pm - Grand Junction, CO
Thanks, ladies! I've heard about the fat cells storing estrogen, but I didn't think that losing the same 20 lbs I lost last year would have an effect on my cycles since it didn't then, guess I was wrong. It is nice to have them again, though I wish they didn't come so dang often!

I've looked into all kinds of BC, but I have had serious hormonal and/or menstrual issues with EVERY hormonal form of BC I've tried, so I'm not down with trying another pill or having the Mirena, the ring, the shot, or the implant. My doc doesn't like doing the copper IUD in women who are certain they want more kids (which my husband and I do). So we're trying to find the barrier method(s) that work best for us.

So looks like it's just something I'm gonna have to put up with for a while and hopefully they start easing up sooner than later! :D Thanks again for the support and the replies. I've been hoping this is normal for someone losing weight at a semi-rapid rate but wasn't sure so thanks for clearing that up :)

scrappygirl8
on 6/25/11 12:31 am
The Depo shot literally ruined my sex life for 3 months. I got my peirod the whole time I was on it (every day****il the shot  was out of my system. My period was very heavy and caused lots of cramping. I have read online that I am not the only one this has happend to. They failed to tell me this when I got the shot, The doctor actually told me that most people don't get their periods at all. What a joke!!! I had to actually take an extra iron suppliment because they were worried my iron levels would drop below normal. I know a lot of people that love the shot, but for me it was 3 months of hell. This all began 2 months before my surgery and continued a little over a month after my surgery, so I know it was not surgery related.
Celia S.
on 6/25/11 4:30 am - Grand Junction, CO
On June 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM Pacific Time, scrappygirl8 wrote:
The Depo shot literally ruined my sex life for 3 months. I got my peirod the whole time I was on it (every day****il the shot  was out of my system. My period was very heavy and caused lots of cramping. I have read online that I am not the only one this has happend to. They failed to tell me this when I got the shot, The doctor actually told me that most people don't get their periods at all. What a joke!!! I had to actually take an extra iron suppliment because they were worried my iron levels would drop below normal. I know a lot of people that love the shot, but for me it was 3 months of hell. This all began 2 months before my surgery and continued a little over a month after my surgery, so I know it was not surgery related.
I know how somewhat how you feel. I didn't have mine every day, but like I said earlier, they were 2 weeks long and were the heaviest and with the worst cramps I've had in my life. My first period on it I ended up making a trip to the ER because I woke up in the middle of the night with cramps that felt like contractions! I ended up passing a very large clot and was freaked out that it was a miscarriage or something! I hated the Depo and will NEVER get it again! My doc told me the same thing that most women don't have periods while on the shot. Ha! Then it took almost 2 months for it to completely be out of my system!

It was awful!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 371 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 338 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 150 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 214 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 123 views