Low Energy

ChaosInFL
on 7/13/11 8:36 am - Orlando, FL
I had my surgery on June 22nd and am on a full liquid diet until July 23rd.  Everything went well and I feel good.  My problem is I have very little energy.  I return to work on the 18th and I'm wondering how I'm going to make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk.  Even though I a averaging 60 - 90 grams of protein a day, I am barely breaking 750 calories.  

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Amy T.
on 7/13/11 9:01 am - CA
I had my surgery on June 10th and feel the same way.  I feel great,  however I find myself taking a nap in the middle of the day...  I usually have about 700-800 calories a day and get all my protein , water and exercise in.  

I think its because we had major surgery and it really takes a good 6-8 weeks for your body to bounce back.  

Hang in there!

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

MrOrange360
on 7/13/11 9:15 am - Independence, MO
I'm having the same issue at this point I had the gastric sleeve April 20th 2010 and did not have any issue staying awake  but I had the bypass on June 20th and I'm tired a lot. I hope it gets better soon.

Lisa R.
on 7/13/11 9:21 am - CA
It is just recovery.  I am 10 weeks out and it wasn't until very recently, like in the last 2 weeks, that I really got back my pre surgery energy levels.  

Really, there is not much more you can do.  Let your boss know and when you get really tired take a little break.  

I'm an 8th grade teacher so going back to work a week after surgery was torture, but I got through.  You will too. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
ChaosInFL
on 7/13/11 9:24 am, edited 7/13/11 9:25 am - Orlando, FL
Wow, I can't imagine going back to work after only one week!  Thanks, its nice to know I'm not alone an that it will get better with time.
GastricKitty
on 7/13/11 12:03 pm - VA
Beef up your shakes. Add peanut butter and a little fruit. 

Maybe your vitamin levels are low. Are you getting enough B12, D3, and calcium?
ChaosInFL
on 7/13/11 12:28 pm, edited 7/13/11 12:28 pm - Orlando, FL
I started taking my vitamins on July 1st and haven't had any labwork yet.  My doctor has me taking multivitamin, iron and calcium twice a day and I'm using Celebrate vitamins not the over-the-counter my surgeon recommends.  At first it was hard to fit them all in but I've gotten the routine down.  I'm hoping this will keep my levels to where they need to me.

Thanks for the shake suggestions, that's a good suggestion.
Kristi D.
on 7/14/11 12:42 am - Buffalo, NY
You are still healing from major abdominal surgery.  It will take several weeks until you start to feel "normal" again.  I have also read that the effects of general anesthesia can impact your energy level for up t two weeks.  Honestly, I was about 3-3 1/2 months out before I really started feeling like I wasn't dragging all the time anymore.  Try to nap in the afternoons before you return to work and then just do the best you can next week.  When I first when back to work, I would go sit in my car on my lunch break and recline the seat to take a little "power nap".  Just make sure you set the alarm on your phone to wake you up.  I overslept once and had to explain why I took an hour and a half lunch break!!!  :)

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 1:58 am - KY
If you're not taking b12 go get some NOW. It does take a good long while for your body to heal and adjust to the changes that have been made to it. Also make sure you're getting in all your fluids. Good luck!! It does get better.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 523 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 394 views
Recent Topics