pills at 1 week post-op?

FlyingPrincess
on 7/13/11 8:32 pm
Just wondering if anyone else's physician's office has told them it would be ok to use some kinds of pills and they are ok to swallow hole 1 week post of? The bariactric advantage calcium that i got make me gag and the PA said i could switch to the citracal petities. the first time around in 2009 when i had lapband, all pills were off limits until 6 weeks. i was under the same impression for RNY. is this extremely uncommon? even though she said its ok, im still hesitant.

Lapband 7/2/2009
Lapbad removal 5/24/2011
Revision to RNY 7/5/2011
HW: 293 SW: 272 CW: 242.2 LW: 233 GW: 185
(updated 9/20/11)

laura_vermont
on 7/13/11 9:01 pm
I was given my post-op pain meds by pill while still in the hospital.  I take all my vits by pill because, other than calcet creamy bites (lemon), I really didn't like chewables and it keeps me compliant.  
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

lynnc99
on 7/13/11 9:03 pm
Early out, I was told that pills needed to be smaller than an M&M. Larger pills would have to be split. 

BA calcium comes in several flavors, by the way. I find the lozenges (not the chews) easiest to handle during they day - you can pop them like a mint and not have to search ou****er. But....I use Citrical Petites too. Be sure to take at least 8 of the Petites a day - because they are smaller, they contain a lower dosage per tablet.
Price S.
on 7/13/11 9:06 pm - Mills River, NC
I've done pills from the beginning with no problems.  We weren't suppose to do anything special unless we were having problems with them and I didn't.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Holly O.
on 7/13/11 10:47 pm - FL
I had the lapband fr 4 1/2 yrs...........revised to RNY  a month ago..........my surgeon told me to put my presc. meds into some baby applesauce and swallow...............never had a problem.............don't be afraid, you will be fine, o.k.  -Holly
   Holly                                      
poet_kelly
on 7/14/11 12:23 am - OH
I was told it was OK to swallow pills whole the same day I had surgery.  Surgery was at 8 am and about 8 pm they gave me my antidepressants and I swallowed them whole with no trouble.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Trish69
on 7/14/11 5:23 am - Fallston, MD
I was taking my regular meds in pill form the day after surgery with just enough water to get them down... I am 7 months out & have had no issues/complications.... thank god!

Like a Caterpillar changing into a Butterfly....Just when you think the end has come you then realize that it is just beginnin
HW 278, Goal 150....Hoping for RNY in Nov 2010   ~Trish~

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views