Taking meds after surgery?

shellykayd
on 7/13/11 2:37 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
I take a lot of pills a day (most for depression, some for arthritis and glucophage for PCOS).  I am unsure how I could get them all in post surgery.  I know I can probably skip some of them, but I really need the ones for depression.  When I have been off my meds, I get severely depressed and end up in the hospital.  I'd rather avoid that experience again!!

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Shelly
poet_kelly
on 7/13/11 2:43 pm - OH
I didn't have any trouble taking any of my pills after surgery.  They gave me my antidepressants while I was in the hospital.  The first few days, I just swallowed one pill at a time instead of swallowing a whole handful in one gulp like I usually do, but I had no trouble taking them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shellybellymichele
on 7/13/11 3:13 pm - Canton, OH
I have pcos also and have always been on metformin(glucophage) and I have not had to take any of them since my surgery.
LaDena
on 7/13/11 3:58 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
I bought a pill crusher and crushed them into a fine powder and took them with either yogurt or applesauce, even right after surgery. No problems, and it was suggested by my surgeon. Some meds also come in liquid form. Just ask your surgeon. They will make sure you are able to get your meds.

*~*Ready for some changes!*~*
It used to be about living to eat, now I'm eating to live!
Food-it either goes to waist or to waste.

Highest Wt/Surgery Day/Current Wt/Goal Wt
279             249          140        140-155
                                           Keeping it real!   

Tammy G.
on 7/13/11 4:37 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
With all of my regular meds and the new vitamin regime, I am almost overwhelmed, but I am doing it. You just have to figure out what works best for you. And just so you know, you only have to cut the large pills, not crush all of them. I was given whole capsules in the hospital, no problem.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 10:33 pm - FL
They did tell me to pause 10 minutes between each capsul otherwise you might end up with a slow discolving gelatenous mass in your pouch.
Holly O.
on 7/13/11 10:53 pm - FL
I'm a month out.............my dr. said just put them in baby applesauce to coat them and swallow.  I need my anxiety meds too so............there you have it..........not a problem.
   Holly                                      
Most Active
Recent Topics