How much time to take from work?

Kristina41
on 7/21/11 9:54 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
Hello, I was wondering when to schedule my surgery. I'm going through the whole pre-op process, and after the 3-6 month pre-op diet, I may be able to schedule surgery in December, Jan or Feb.. I'm a teacher (7th grade) which can be kind of demanding, on my feet the whole day, but not picking up heavy things or anything like that. I was originally planning on next summer for surgery because I'll have two months of "recoop" time. I say that laughingly because with 3 boys ranging in ages from 10 to 2, I'm not really "off." Anyway, I figured this way I could relearn what and how to eat, and if I have embarrassing side-effects it wouldn't be in a classroom in front of kids. Or perhaps I could figure out how to handle them before I go back to work. It is a little discouraging thinking I'll have to wait until late June/early July however.....what do you think?

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/11 10:19 pm
I say to get it done ASAP. Do you have sick days? I was teaching 8th grade math when I had my RNY. I told my principal I needed it done for my health and was going to get it done as soon as I could schedule it. He was very supportive. I had it in September 2008 and took 2 weeks off. I made sure I did not try eating new things at school.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

24kgirl
on 7/21/11 10:36 pm - Decatur, GA

Since everyone is different with this journey including recovery, I personally would lean more toward having it done over the summer (the minute the school bell rings). I was allotted 6 weeks off on my FMLA paperwork by the woman who filled out the papers at my surgeons office. Honestly, I didn't need a whole 6 weeks, but I took it. And I must admit that I am sooo happy I did. Not because I had any complications, but it was just simply a nice choice to have. I am an RN in an ICU so I am constantly on my feet and there can be a lot of heavy lifting involved so I was placed on a weight limit when I first got back to work. I must say I was probably pampered, but in the end I turned out great and I felt good about it. I have a friend/co-worker who had surgery shortly after me and she only took 4 weeks off. She was happy with that, but said that she was glad her time wasn't shorter than that. She too has had no complications post-operatively.

I know it's difficult to wait he extra time, and I certainly don't want to put any bad vibes into the air but I think you have to look at the BIG picture. If you are able to take the time you need, and allot for the possibility of complications then feel free to have the surgery whenever the heck you want. BUT if taking extra time off during the school year could be difficult in the event that you need more than 2 weeks then I would wait for the summer so you can have peace of mind. Especially since you have young children of your own that you have to attend to as well.

HW: 327  SW: 303  CW: 144.5  GW (NUT): 160  GW (Mine): 150

Kristina41
on 7/21/11 10:56 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
I will have 13 sick days when I go back to work (I'm down because I was out for a while after having my last child). And I usually have to take at least a couple of days per year because of my children (colds, sickness, doc appt.) So, I was thinking like you, 24Kgirl......I don't want to have extra worries about making teaching plans and the stress of wondering if I'll be able to keep my energy up for teaching. 7th graders take a lot of energy!

Holly O.
on 7/21/11 10:56 pm - FL
Hi!!  I teach 10th grade..........Intensive Reading/Language Arts.  I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and have had zero problems.  I go back the 16th of August.  I had my surgery a few days after school was done for the year.  I had the same concerns but really now in retrospect it wasn't necessary.  I had the lapband for 5 years..............I had a lot more trouble with that surgery then this one!! I wish you the best...........do what is best for you, o.k. and good luck with those 7th graders...........I know they can be a challenge!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
The_Chungs
on 7/22/11 1:38 am
I had the same concerns as you.  I teach 9th and 10th English at an all-boys prep school.  My job is incredibly high stress and demanding.  I only get 5 paid days off a year which I have to reserve for the occassional dibilitating migraine and/or excrutiating endometriosis pain, but taking time off during the school year is a nightmare.  FYI - I've also taught in a public high school (loved it) and taught 7th grade as well, so I can definitely relate.

To make a long story shorter, I'm having my surgery Tuesday, August 2nd.  I'm slated to go back to work exactly 2 weeks later on Tuesday, August 16th.  I've done a lot of research on the topic and have concluded that although every one is different, 2-3 weeks is sufficient time for what we do.  I'm doing my first month of lesson planning next week, including taking care of copies, making assessments etc... in order to minimize stress.  I'll have my sister come with me the weekend before school starts so she can decorate my classroom and set things up for me so I don't run into any issues. 

I really wanted to give myself more time.  I thought about postponing to next summer very seriously, but then my husband made me realize that my health, my life is more important than my very important job.  A year from now, I could be 100+ pounds lighter or I could go through another school year feeling tired and drained from all this extra weight I carry around. 

You will be a better teacher and have a better year if you do this for yourself rather than putting it off.  Schedule the surgery for December (don't worry about the holidays).  Take the first week in January off.  Plan/prepare your lessons for the first month you get back and get your new life started ASAP.  You DESERVE it!  By the summer you could have lost 60+ pounds and enjoy the summer with your boys doing things I'm sure you haven't been able to do in a while.

Keep me posted!  I'll be thinking of you!!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Proudtobaloser
on 7/22/11 8:47 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I sub fulltime and earliest I could get for mine was August 29th (4 days after school starts here) and yes I have already gotten calls asking me to start at certain schools, lovely huh? Mu surgeon is giving me a get out of work card for a month, I am always slow to heal so there is that. I know subbing is not the same as fulltime teaching and I can pick my assignments, it is still demanding.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Most Active
Recent Topics