What is a normal diet for 2 1/2 months post op?? :[

xoxoxo1990
on 7/29/11 8:01 am
Hello, im 2 1/2 months post op and i am at a tough spot.
I have been pretty much stuck with protien shakes, water and vitamins because i dont know if its in my head or of it really is that everytime i try soft, or really really chewed solid foods that i get an uncomfortable feelin of fullness after a few bites, and im either in pain for a while or i have to upchuck, ive told my surgeon and weve done catscans and xrays, but nothing has come up. im scared i'll never be able to eat again, healthy, or not.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

Lisa R.
on 7/29/11 9:04 am - CA
I don't know it there is a "normal" diet, but I am 3 months out and I eat pretty much everything except beef, pork and white carbs.  When I do eat those things I get that feeling that you are describing.  

I have found that the key to this whole process is eating.  My doctor told me that too.  I eat every 3 hours and when I do that I lose weight.  It is when I miss meals or eat too low calorie that I tend to stop losing.

Wish I could give you great advice, but all I can say is keep eating, keep trying things that your doctor says is ok.  If this problem continues you might need to push your doctor for more tests

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/11 9:45 am - Windsor, Canada
Did your surgeon do an endoscopy to look at your stoma for a stricture? 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

nkara
on 7/29/11 10:22 am
 what about trying to go for liquids and add one item of food like say a piece of chicken and see how your stmach feels for that one meal.   If that works then you know chicken is ok... then the next day try something different.  This way you can eliminate if it a certain food or if it's everything you eat? 
Just a thought. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 10:42 am - FL
Sounds like you also might need a barium swallow study.  Are you taking bites no bigger than the size of a pea and chewing chewing and chewing?  Also make sure the foods are moist otherwise they'll get stuck on the way down and that will hurt.  If your body can't pu**** down, it will pu**** back up.  As far as a diet goes, everyone gets a different diet.  With my group we can have virtually all meats, chicken, pork, fish, etc. and all veggies except for peas, corn potatoes, and all other complex carbs like beans, pasta, rice, etc.  Everything else is okay in portions.  The goal is to start moving from 2oz of protein to 3-5oz of protein per meal (4 meals a day) and 2oz fruit or veggies.  They want to get you consuming enough solid protein so that you don't need the liquid protein very often.  This is the diet we have through month 6.  There after you can add 1 serving (1/2 cup usually) of complex carbs, beans, grains, etc per day.  I hope that helps!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views