Pre-surgery diet - haven't lost an ounce

sylvan
on 8/1/11 5:43 am
This is the same thing that happened last time.  I just got back from the hospital for pre-op work.  They weighed me.  After a week of four shakes a day, SF jello, low sodium vegetable broth, and flavored water, I haven't lost an ounce.  Not one stinking ounce!  I have NOT cheated.  What gives?  

The last time I did the pre-surgery diet, the exact same thing happened.  I did cheat the last time and ate a couple of pieces of string cheese during that week.  Maybe three or four the entire week.  That was all that I did that was extra. 

Anyone have any ideas?  If my liver doesn't shrink this time, I don't know what I'm going to do.  I can't keep having surgery where they open me up, find my liver is too large, and don't do the RNY.
nutritiongal123
on 8/1/11 5:48 am
 Are you exercising to expedite weight loss?  Sometimes that can have a negative effect on the scales.   Rest assured if you are on a full liquid diet, you should lose weight so hang in there..., unless affected by external factors such as pregnancy or thyroid issues. 

nutritiongal123
on 8/1/11 5:50 am
There are a few diets that have outcomes for presurg liver shrinkage. One is Optifast (full fast), the other is Nuvista (relatively new and utilizes food)
All the best to you!
sylvan
on 8/1/11 5:59 am
I'm drinking Bariatric Fusion.  The chocolate kind.  Four a day.
ladyquenn
on 8/1/11 6:55 am - WV
Also are you getting 70-100 oz of water a day, that will help.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
sylvan
on 8/1/11 7:24 am
I'm easily getting that much water.  Drinking water is the thing that is keeping me from feeling like I'm starving all the time.  Every time I get hungry, I go get another glass of water or a Propel.
sunpat41
on 8/1/11 8:05 am
I was only allowed 4-5 protein shakes and a lean cuisine at lunch (no more then 300 cal) a day
You might want to try to cut down on the jello, and broth and see if that helps,  just stick with the shakes. How much do you have to loose?
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

sylvan
on 8/1/11 9:39 am
The doctor said 3-5 pounds by the time of surgery, which is next Monday.

I'm having a lot less than you were.  The four shakes are 132 calories each.  The jello is 40 calories.  The broth is 20 calories.  I honestly don't see how I could cut down much more.

Is this maybe because of all those years of starvation dieting?  Maybe I've messed up my metabolism beyond repair.  :( 
sunpat41
on 8/1/11 12:23 pm
No I dont think so, I was only allowed 700 cal a day, I only lost about 4 lbs, I did the pre op diet for 7 days
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

sylvan
on 8/1/11 12:58 pm
Oh.  I figured your shakes were about the same as mine.  I guess they weren't. 

I've got another week to go.  Maybe my body hasn't figured out what is going on yet and I'll lose the weight next week.  I hope, I hope, I hope. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views