diarrhea and nausea three hours after eating

pouch_potato
on 8/3/11 8:11 am - PA
I don't think this is dumping because doesn't that usually happen pretty quickly after you eat? Here's what's going on:

Yesterday I had an attack of diarrhea seemingly out of nowhere (no chills, sweating or anything else). I had eaten three hours before, my usual plain Greek yogurt with a scoop of whey protein. I had finished a glass of water about 15 minutes prior to the diarrhea.

Today, at the same time I had the diarrhea the day before, I had a terrible feeling of nausea well up and I thought I was going to vomit. Again, I had had my usual plain Greek yogurt three hours before and had finished drinking a glass of water 15-30 minutes before I got nauseated.

Both days I have felt really exhausted.

Is this surgery- related or do I just have a good old-fashioned bug? Could drinking plain water suddenly be making me sick??

Thanks in advance.

Rachel
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
poet_kelly
on 8/3/11 8:36 am - OH
Sometimes it's just so hard to tell.

If you have a fever, then it's probably just a bug of some kind.

If you don't have a fever, I guess I would just start trying different things to see if something helps.  Try drinking something besides water, or drink less water at a time, or drink slower.  Try eating something different.  It's like a big experiment.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sharyn S.
on 8/3/11 11:20 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
You just had your intestine operated on.  The natural functioning has been disrupted.  You probably received prophylactic antibiotics, which killed all your good intestine bacteria, which plays a huge role if maintaining your bowel functioning properly.

Some people have diarrhea for quite some time after WLS.  I, personally, had diarrhea and loose stools for a year.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

rbb825
on 8/3/11 2:30 pm - Suffern, NY
My surgeon told me that some people get either early dumping or late dumping.  Early dumping is when it happens withing 15minutes to 1 hour and you get the sweats, shakes and sometimes diarhea.  Late dumping happens a few hours later and the only symptom is profound foul smelling diarhea.  It is enormous amounts.  It can happen from too much sugar, too much fat or in some cases people that are lactose intolerant.

Just a possibility.

pouch_potato
on 8/3/11 7:10 pm - PA
Ugh, I hope I'm not becoming intolerant of my yogurt because that's half my daily protein!

I switched from plain water to decaf hot tea for the rest of the day and it was very soothing.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
Most Active
Recent Topics