Feeling Discouraged

poeticdlt1
on 8/5/11 1:47 am
I had my RY surgery July 12, 2011, the first 2 weeks weight really came off, now it is sooo slow, on days I've even gained .5 pounds. I'm not eating or drinking things out of the ordinary, if anything, I'm not eating and drinking enough. How much weight loss is expected the 1st month and what is the average weight loss weekly. The day of surgery I was 221, I'm only down to 205 and it is almost a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shanneee
on 8/5/11 2:08 am - MN
Caution with not eating or drinking enough.  If your body isn't getting enough calories it's natural reaction is to go into "starvation mode" as a means of protecting you.  When this happens, it basically hoardes every existing and incoming calorie in order to "save you" from starvation. 

Try upping your calorie intake with a few extra protein shakes each day and see if it helps.  Also, adding exercise to your routine (yeah, yeah, I now...I'm horrible at this) also tends to shake you out of a slump and get your body to start letting go of some of that extra fat.

Good luck!

T V.
on 8/5/11 2:44 am
I know exactly where you are coming from. I had surgery on 7/7/11 and I have not lost anything for 2 weeks. I have only lost 16 pounds so far. From what I have read on here, I think it is normal.
Diminishing Dawn
on 8/5/11 2:47 am - Windsor, Canada
1.  Weighing yourself every day is NOT good. Once a week if that.  You will fluctuate up to 5 lbs on any given day because of sodium content, bowels, hormones, water retention and various other things.

2.  You are at about the time for the great 3-6 week stall. Go to my journal if you want to read about why it happens.  (current journal).

3.  You NEED to eat and drink enough or your weight loss WILL indeed slow down as your body will go to starvation mode and retain every single pound.

4. You are a lightweight.    You will not lose huge numbers compared with people who have more to lose so don't compare yourself to others. According to my chart you are doing just great :) 

For patients weighing 200 to 250 lbs.
10 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
35 to 45 lbs. in 6 months
60 lbs. or more in 1 year
70 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 250 to 300 lbs.
10 to 12 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
45 to 60 lbs. in 6 months
80 lbs. or more in 1 year
90 lbs. or more in 18 month

For patients weighing 300 to 400 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 55 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 80 lbs. in 6 months
100 lbs. or more in 1 year
120 lbs. or more in 18 month

For patients weighing 400 to 500 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 60 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 90 lbs. in 6 months
120 lbs. or more in 1 year
150 lbs. or more in 18 months

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Not the Same Dawn
on 8/5/11 5:14 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
Yup. My diagnosis (which is as far from an expert as you can get while still being someone who did have RNY - albeit 5 years ago) is that you are in a stall. Stalls happen. Increase your protein, increase your water and GET OFF THE DARN SCALE..

Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
NikkiV
on 8/5/11 6:33 am - OH
I had my surgery on 7/8/11 and totally agree with the above posters! When I first came home from the hospital I was losing at least a pound a day. My mom called everyday to find out what I had lost. She even bought me a new scale. I finally told her, "enough is enough." It is more important to focus on protein, vitamins and fluids!! Now I'm certainly not losing that pound a day.  My surgeon recommended that I start aerobic exercise, but to tell the truth, I've just been too tired. I think as your energy increases you will do more and start to lose more. 

Most Active
Recent Topics