Can anyone help????

nurse55
on 8/9/11 2:37 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Can anyone help??? I have started my journey with Vanderbilt and Dr. Clements. But after reading the Tennessee forum, I see how active Centennial group is and think I may have made a mistake. I will be self-pay, since this group does not accept my insurance. Found out my husband has stage 4 cancer on May 13, and really want to be able to enjoy life with him while he is in remission. Any help appreciated.
samsander
on 8/9/11 2:39 pm - CA
Does any group accept your insurance?

If so, who?

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

dasie
on 8/9/11 8:14 pm
I am so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and pray he is surrounded by the very best health care professionals while having treatment.

As for your choice - when you say Vanderbilt are you referring to the medical school?  I went to 4 different seminars prior to choosing my surgeon and actually had 2 more scheduled to attend.  Two clinics, and in particular one, is extremely well-known, "famous" actually.  However in the end, I chose my surgeon who was connected to a medical school, received his training at the Cleveland Clinic and I could go on and on about his qualifications.  I could not have made a better decision.  He and his staff have been unbelievable.  They really have.   I knew someone who used one of the other clinics and had great results.  The other surgeon has quite a few active members on OH.  I guess what I am trying to say is this:  If you like your surgeon, program, staff, etc. at Vanderbilt and you know that surgeon is well-qualified, empathetic and will provide good long-term after care, your decision may be the best for you.  But, if you feel like you need to change...change.  You have to go into this knowing you have done your homework, have been proactive and are comfortable and confident with your choice.

nurse55
on 8/14/11 4:32 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Thank you so much for your answer. I am rethinking my decision. Yes, Vanderbilt hospital is part of Vanderbilt medical school. I love the Dr. I consulted with, but since my husband's illness we no longer have private insur, and the other group Centinual does accept the insur I currently have. Thanks again.
Day_dream_believer
on 8/10/11 12:48 am
I am sorry to hear about your husband.  My prayers  will be with him and his Dr's during his treatment.    If you think you have made a mistake check out some of the other groups. 

nurse55
on 8/14/11 4:34 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. He was dx on Fri. May 13 and we found out on July 25th that he is in remission. They made us no promises and we are taking each day as it comes. Thank you again.
Carrie W.
on 8/10/11 1:18 am - KY
I'm sorry to hear about your husband!

I had my surgery done with Centennial. I couldn't be happier. The actual surgery was done at Womens Hospital. I know that they do self pay and they are SUPER at getting insurance cooperation. If you have any questions, PM me or ask on here.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

troup76
on 8/11/11 9:18 am
First, I want to let you know that I am so sorry to hear about your husband and the struggles you are facing. I will add you to my prayer list and would love to have updates.

I want to ask for clarification on your post. Does Vandy and/or Centennial take your insurance?

I am a support group leader at Vandy. I am also a patient of Vandy Surgical Weight Loss Center. There are several reasons why I selected Vandy. One was because it is a center of excellence. Second, was the experience and record of doctors. Third, was the staff (which is amazing). The decision of having weight loss surgery is a major, life changing decision. I think it is very important to research all options from selecting a hospital, doctor, and all the way to type of surgery. I know I did a lot of research.

However, from your post it seemed that the reason for wanting to change is based on the activity of support online. Can you confirm that is the reason for wanting to change?

Vanderbilt offers a special online support group on obesityhelp.com. There are also several on site support groups available. The staff is also a line of support available at Vanderbilt. I am positive that the staff would be willing to work with you because of the situation with your husband. If you need a representative from Vandy to contact you, I can make that happen. I just want to make sure that all issues and options are addressed before a change is made from your original decision.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Terri Troup
Down 123 lbs in 9 months
nurse55
on 8/14/11 4:28 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Terri, I hope I have figured out how to post an answer. Centennial does take my insur. Vanderbilt does not. We had insur thru my husbands's work, but now we have Tenncare. I would really like for someone to contact me from Vanderbilt to see if they would work with me, as I have already had my consult with Dr. Clement and my psych eval, waiting on my sleep study now. With Vanderbilt I will be self pay, borrowing from my 401k. I really, really like Dr. Clements, and Vandy is where I would like to have my surgery, if I could work something out.

I sent you a message inbox, if I posted correctly. Thank you for responding.
Most Active
Recent Topics