So I bit the bullet today.....Need advice from vets.

shellbell75
on 8/12/11 1:43 pm
and added some carbs. I know that I can not function long term avoiding even healthy carbs. I need to grocery shopping but here what I did for the day. Vets too much or ok? For those that don't know, I posted last night how I am afraid of even healthy carbs due to my PCOS but know I need to add then for long term success.

BF: Sugar Free Banana pudding with a scoop of Isopure unflavored with a 1/2 cup of crushed fiber one

Lunch: A protein shake made with 1 tbs of SF butterscotch pudding, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 10 oz of Almond milk and 1/2 cup of crushed fiber one. (the reason I thought to add the fiber one is b/c despite taking a serving of miralax, 1000mg of mag ox and benifiber I am still having a hard time with bm's)

Dinner: I snack pouch of pepperoni, 1 slice of LF Colby Jack cheese on 2 Wheat thin crisps

Questions? comments, concerns? Yes, I am getting all of my liquid in and my protein.

I think next week I am going to make an appt with my NUT and bariatric therapist.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

gbsinsatx
on 8/12/11 1:48 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Feel free to look at my profile page for my eating plan. I eat only nutritious complex carbs.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Heidi L.
on 8/12/11 1:53 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I have/had diabetes, PCOS and hypothyroidism. I know exactly what you mean about being scared to add carbohydrates.

Being that you are almost 2 months out I'd still be worried that the 1/2c. of fiber one is too much... What volume did your surgeon tell you to stick to?

Are you still on a puree diet? I'd try to get off the SF puddings and try greek yogurt or carb control yogurt with stevia. You'll get more protein out of them and can still add your unflavored if you wanted.

My main staple was guacamole and refried beans. YUMMM!

At about 6 months my weight loss stopped, but it plateaued at 178#. Since then I've been able to very SLOWLY lose another 6#s. Today I was told by my nutritionist to start back on the bariatric pre-op clear liquid diet until I get to my goal of BMI 21.0. My pouch is rumbling, but I know I can do it again.

My advice would be to add bright fruits and cooked vegetables. Good luck to you!

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

shellbell75
on 8/12/11 2:07 pm
No actually I am on phase 4 of my diet. That's why I am asking b/c I am not sure. Thanks for the advice.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

poet_kelly
on 8/12/11 2:33 pm - OH
Looks OK to me. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jessica M.
on 8/13/11 1:49 am, edited 8/13/11 1:50 am - Midlothian, TX
My suggestion would be this. If carbs are a trigger food for you then be mindful eating about what you are putting into your mouth. There are many types of healthy carbs that do not include being processed or high in corn syrup or frutocose. I would suggest eating RICEWORKS chips in limited quality- made with brown rice and natural. For me, I do not eat wheat thins or triscuits because of the other additves in it. (Not saying it is not a good choice compared to other options), just for me it's a trigger. For healthy complex carbs I eat either 1/2 a small potatoe or 1/4 cup of brown rice or 1/4 Quino during meal #5 and that is all. The other complex carbs come from my berries throughout the day.

Just be mindful eating, and aware what is a trigger food for you. Fiber in a diet is great! It is what keeps us clean and feeling free.
"Winning at a Losing Game"

Price S.
on 8/13/11 2:40 am - Mills River, NC
I eat veggies at least 3x a day and it hasn't slowed my weighloss at all.  Cooked stuff at first but now salads also.  They have great fiber, not many calories and lots of variety.  I have tomatoes and spinach in my eggs in the morning, cooked veggies with lunch and supper or salad stuff now.  Still don't do much grains or white anything.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Michelle E.
on 8/13/11 2:46 am
Your carbs look fine to me too.. remember.. you have to gauge how much activity versus carbs.. I need a banana or something like that in the morning to get my engine going.. I dont think fiber one cereal ever made someone fat especially at a 1/2 cup.. I'm good with tthe SF Puddings as long as you have the protein in it. I would add some stool softeners and may be some more water?

If you are still on any pain meds it will slow your BM down.. Why not add your benefiber to your shakes?

Good luck .. its a journey for sure

Michelle
kweenbee733
on 8/13/11 3:30 am - Columbus, OH
of course this is always prefaced by.. "are you following what your nut says?"  but....

At nearly 2 months out, IMHO you should be closer to some real-looking foods.  swap unhealthy pepperonis for ham or turkey.  try to get some sort of soft veggie in there. greek yogurt instead of the pudding. baked ricotta cheese with some tomato sauce.      the longer you avoid real foods, the harder the transistion.  carbs are not the debil but you should pick good ones.  I didn't do any of the white ones for about 9 months or so.  (potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.) 
YankeeRose
on 8/13/11 10:06 am - Meadville, PA
I am also approaching 8 weeks out and afraid of carbs too. I also have PCOS and hypothyroidism. But my Nut said I can have whole grains. She suggested triscuits, protein cereal, oatmeal and whole grain flat bread (I forget the name brand but I think Pepperidge Farms makes them). I have been afraid to try fruits because of the sugar (afraid to dump). I do eat veggies and once in a while a little mashed potatoes or part of small baked potato. I have heard others suggest sweet potatoes. I just now had a snack of a few triscuits with some colby jack cheese on them. At breakfast today I tried a 1/4 piece of whole wheat toast but it made my pouch feel icky. I also have not tried Greek yogurt yet as I am sure I would need something to sweeten it but don't have any sf syrups and like I said earlier, I have not tried much fruit yet. With still not being able to eat much, my meals still consist primarily of protein and some cooked veggies. I recently tried salad but only ate a few bites.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
Recent Topics