Help me all you wise people!!!

mimijo
on 8/15/11 9:37 am
I am so very confused and conflicted.  My surgeon's office called today and told me that the only surgery my insurance will cover is RNY.  I was sure that the sleeve was the best choice due to the removal of the hunger hormone.  I did so much research on the sleeve and not RNY and talked to so many sleeve patients now I AM LOST!   I have a short window of keeping the authorization open for the surgery! 

Help me understand what you went through with surgery, what side effects you are or have and HONESTLY tell me if it was worth it.  What is your quality of life?   Would you do it again? I don't want to make a choice that I can never return from and be sorry!

I am afraid to die of obesity and afraid to die of surgery that may be very complicated.  I just am not informed enough.  Can you help? 

Thanks all!
Jacqueline F.
on 8/15/11 9:53 am, edited 8/14/11 9:54 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
My cousin had the sleeve and I had the RNY. The only difference that the two of us can see is what we can eat, and the quantity we can eat. The rules for both are the same, but she can cheat and eat fat and sugar and not get sick, I cannot. She can eat more than I can, but not by that much. Honestly both are good surgeries. Do some reading on RNY, so you know what the difference in the surgical process is...I kept my disconnected stomach and she had hers removed, at this point you have done all the reading to make your choice about whether or not to have bariatric surgery, now you need to do a little more to determine if you can handle RNY. If you don't think your prepared to make the choice, don't. Start over when you are ready.

I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat given the same health cir****tances. I personally did not have a difficult time, the recovery time is the same, the risks are the same, the type of surgery is different based on the way you digest food. The rules are the same.

She is regaining weight, I am not. Is that due to the surgery type or personal choices...could be either or both.

Good luck,
Jackie

PS they cut that hunger nerve with RNY also it does recover but takes a while.

nfarris79
on 8/15/11 10:04 am - Germantown, MD
 All is not lost -I considered EVERY type of surgery before deciding (or my insurance company deciding for me) on RNY. What my surgeon/NUT explained about ghrelin  "the hunger hormone" is that it is produced by the lower portion of your stomach. Whether the sleeve or RNY, this area is bypassed. However, when the nerve endings grow back, the hunger may grow back - so it's important to have realistic expectations.
My quality of life is vastly improved. I would do this again in a heartbeat. My only regret is that I didn't do this when I was first considering it, in my 20s. I've had side effects of dumping, constipation, and struggling with my "food issues" but can say that I'm better for it all. Every hurdle has shown me how strong I really am and how much my life is worth fighting for.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

samsander
on 8/15/11 10:31 am - CA
For what it is worth, I had the fully insured option of both and picked RNY.

I would do so again (pick RNY) in a minute! It is a wonderful surgery!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/15/11 10:48 am - TX
Both posts are GREAT and very informative!!! I would have my RNY over again as it has been a sucessful surgery for me. I am 7 weeks out and doing well. And....I think that NFarris' is a genius when she says..."Every hurdle has shown me how strong I really am and how much my life is worth fighting for." Fighting for our lives is exactly what we are doing. If you are not sure of your decision, then don't have the surgery performed until you are SURE. It took me years to come to my decision. You want to feel great about your decision and to be sure b/c after the surgery it takes hard work and dedication being ready for the surgey will help with the difficulties that lie ahead. The road is hard but he payoff is amazing. In my opinion, please realize this is JUST MY OPINION, I felt very uncomfortable getting rid of my disconnected stomach. It somehow felt wrong to me (and for my body) to do that....and again, that is just me. I think Jackie's comparison between the two surgeries is eye-opening.

Hope this helps. Again, don't do anything until you are ready!!

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Waysta
on 8/15/11 10:48 am - TX
I could have chosen either surgery,,,chose rny and am very happy with it...would do it again in a heart beat....my life is vastly changed for the better !!
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
Kathy B.
on 8/15/11 11:01 am - ME
I am about 3.5 months out. I had my doubts about my choice of RNY not working for me. However, it has been smooth sailing once I got through the first 4 days. I always have problems with anesthesia. I am down 56 pounds. In size 12 from a very tight 18W. I can eat everything except mire than 9 grams of sugar. Carbs, fats and fruit do not bother me. I am glad I dump on sugar! What a great tool! I would do this surgery over again in a heart beat! I am so happy. This is the best summer I have had in many many years. In the beginning I signed up for lap band. So glad I went with RNY. I hope you can research and feel good about RNY. You must feel so confused at this point. Take care.

AMRubel
on 8/15/11 11:06 am
I WAS TERRIFIED TO HAVE RNY, but like you, my insurance would not cover the sleeve. I had the choice of lap band or RNY and after speaking with my surgeon, I decided on RNY.

I am so happy that I had this surgery and have not felt this wonderful in years. The process is not easy, and I had a complication DURING surgery, but since then all has been fine. I can eat, drink and I enjoy my new relationship with food.

I eat to satisfy my appetite, and not to gorge myself - I make better food choices (I said "better", not perfect )  and honestly when I do go off the deep end (eating quite a bit of mayonaise on some chicken) my RNY reminds me that that is not a good choice (diarreah, vomiting, shaking) -One time and you won't want to do it again! I LOVE IT!!! Sick, I know...but sometimes I personally need to learn the hard way! 

The poster above was right though...If you are not quite ready to make a decision, don't! You don't want to make a rash decision and be upset with the outcome. Stick to the RNY board and you will get a TON of advice. Read some informaiton about the procedure, but don't let the scary ones overcome you. You can find someone on the internet that died from having a tooth extracted or popping a pimple! Just use your common sense, and if something does scare you - talk toy our surgeon! 

I can't not tell you everything is going to be okay, or that you will love your RNY - but I can tell you that I am 100% content with my decision and at 6 months out, I would do it over! 

Good luck, and I wish you peace with whichever decision you make! 

Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
Zeigled
on 8/15/11 11:39 am - Parkton, MD
I'm 4 weeks out and I'm not sure I've made the right decision yet.  I have lost 40 lbs but I'm still not feeling 100%.  I had to have open instead of laproscopic so I think my recovery is slower than someone that had lap.  I've been nauseated (days 3-9), depressed, & tired.  I have had cravings but I've NOT been hungry at all - so the cravings are all in my mind.  I'm still on pureed foods.  This weekend I've started feeling much better.  This is the right decision for me - but it is harder than I expected.  I'm just telling you this so you aren't surprised IF (and that's a big IF) you have similar symptoms.  They pass but I have had them.  I'm not sure how the sleeve would be different. Good Luck with your decision.
D
HW 357 SW 341   

Mia H.
on 8/16/11 2:42 am - OH
 I was like you at 4 weeks with an open RNY.  It takes a good 8 weeks to completely heal and even now I have some slight abdominal muscle pain.  But the 4 weeks make a big difference.  I absolutely love having the surgery now.  Plus I can eat a lot more variety of foods now.  Hang in there.  =o)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 519 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 144 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics