Salt Cravings!

StampinCatMom
on 8/16/11 10:40 am - Columbus, OH
Since surgery, I have had such a salt craving that I really just don't understand it. I didn't have that problem before surgery, so what gives? Has anyone else had this problem?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
It's about getting out there and dancing in the rain!

Alice P.
on 8/16/11 10:46 am
I totally did. I have always thought of myself as a sweets person not a salt craver, but post op I craved salt terribly, like never before. I attribute it too the lack of salt we get- between the small quantities we eat and the lack of processed (high salt) food we eat I think I needed more salt. My blood pressure actually dropped post op to 80/40 for a while and my MD told me to add more salt to my diet--I did and the extreme salt cravings went away.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

shellb58
on 8/16/11 11:35 am - WA
I got sooo tired of all the sf stuff that I also had the salty cravings. I broke down and had pop corn with" I cant believe its not butter spray"  Good luck to you
shelley veturis            
HogRider
on 8/16/11 11:48 am - Jacksonville, FL
Salt acts as a hydration retainer. We used to take salt tablets in the military on hot days to retain extra water due to dehydration risks. You body may be telling you something.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:49 am - Boston, MA
 I'm not sure if I crave it or just love it.. but I put salt on my watermelon and apples.. and sometimes I have a handful of sea salt pita chips 
mandajolyn
on 8/16/11 4:01 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Salt cravings are an indicator for dehydration. Make sure you're getting in plenty of fluids. I've been craving salty foods lately so I looked it up and found most the symptoms I was experiencing were signs of not getting enough fluids. With this heat it's easy to get dehydrated
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Heidi L.
on 8/16/11 6:27 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I have the same cravings for salt. Can't get enough corn chips. Not dehydrated. Taking in a minimum of 80 ounces of liquid a day.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

mrs.berry
on 8/16/11 11:47 pm
i've been craving salt like crazy since surgery! my dr said i need to increase my fluid intake. i know i don't drink enough so mine is probably from dehydration or needing more fluids
RNY Gastric Bypass 1/14/11
SW 276.5
GW 150 - met 12/11!!! 
Pregnant w/ #1 due 4/9/13
mdolan20
on 8/17/11 10:05 am - Brick, NJ
 After surgery my salt craving was intense! I battled it with roasted soy nuts and roasted edamame -either one is good in protein and salty goodness! Unfortunately I'm back to a sweet tooth lol
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 65 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views