Warning info about Niacin/Niacinide

deborahgalek31
on 8/16/11 8:08 am
I took a sugar free energy shot today with Niacinide in it.  Right after it hit my stomach, my stomach and skin started to burn and get red.  Apparantly this as well as other things are common side effects of Niacinide!  One warning in the article below is that it could cause ulcers, so it can't be real great for post op patients!  Just getting the info out there!

http://www.rxlist.com/niacin_and_niacinamide_vitamin_b3/supp lements.htm

Live Long and Prosper  \ V / ,
Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:38 pm - North Brookfield, MA
Hi Deborah, sorry that must have been scary! My sister had that happen after eating red velvet cake... red dye has iodine-niacin...she almost died from the severe reaction, she now avoids red dye in anything, also is very careful with shellfish and calcium and vites that are made from shell fish.  She has to carry an epi pen with her.  FYI this just came out of no where, she had that cake many times before but now this...please...be careful.
ObiMomKenobi
on 8/17/11 5:22 am
The reaction you describe is called 'flushing' and is a normal and minor side effect. It won't hurt you.

The risk of ulcers and other more serious side effects comes with high doses. Staying within the recommended dose prevents problems.

Niacin is necessary for normal bodily functioning. Some people have to take very high doses of niacin for heart and cholesterol. For a cardiac patient, the advantages outweigh the risks.

Simple flushing is not a big problem. It just feels weird. :)

Amanda :)

Most Active
Recent Topics