Extended release medication????

scraphappyt
on 8/19/11 5:19 am
I know I should know this, but I seriously can't remember.

I'm 18 months out from surgery and doing fantastic!!!  This was the best decision I have ever made for myself.  I'm 4'11" tall and weighed 224 pounds on the day of surgery.  I'm now stable at 110 pounds!!  I just can't believe it!!!

Anyway, enough gloating....I've been taking Ambien for insomnia and it's really helped.  The problem is that I'm no longer staying asleep.  I only get about 3 to 4 hours sleep after taking it.  I know there is an Ambien CR that's an extended release med. 

Are extended release meds off limit for life or was that a temporary thing?  Does anyone know why (if it's for life)?

poet_kelly
on 8/19/11 5:26 am - OH
Extended release meds won't hurt you if you take them.  But it's recommended that we don't take them and yeah, that's for life.  The reason is our digestive system is now shorter than a "normal" digestive system, so extended release meds quite frequently exit our system before being completely absorbed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenysez1
on 8/19/11 5:41 am - LA
From what I understood (and will be very upset if I am wrong) was that is just soon after.  when you needed either to take liquids or crush pills.

Jenny

poet_kelly
on 8/19/11 5:48 am - OH
No, it's forever.  Our small intestine will always be shorter than a "normal" intestine.  Extended release meds are designed to be absorbed over a period of at least 12 hours, sometimes more.  But meds will not remain in our small intestine that long, so we will not absorb them all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pupcake !.
on 8/19/11 6:50 am - Stranded in, IA
Congrats on your weight loss!

I am the queen of insomnia and it sounds like you need a change in medication.  The ambien helps you go to sleep but you can't stay asleep

Talk to your doc- there may be somthing you can add to help stay asleep.

The extended release meds might work or may not.  The kinds that just slowly release over time have a better chance of working than the meds like Concerta that release a bunch, then a bunch more 5 hours later.

You gotta remember we have small stomachs an minimal acid so we may not get the benefit of all the time release.

That said, I've taken time release meds and they have worked ok.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

glzgowlass
on 8/19/11 10:52 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 Ohhh, I got excited there.  4'11"!  Me too.  Actually I'm 4' 10.5"   Congrats on being 110 lb - that's about where I'd like to be.  I'm thinking I could do it in a year.  How long did it take you?  Did you have co-morbidities?  How long did it take to get rid of them?

Haven't a clue about the cr thing, but what poet kelly says sounds about right.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 301 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??