What Do You Eat for Your 6 Small Meals a Day?

MissTootsie
on 8/23/11 4:16 am - MA
I have always wondered what exactly makes for 6 small meals a day.  I did a search, but couldn't find any real answers.

Generally, I only have 3 meals a day, but would like to try eating this way.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks! 
"You must do the things you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt   

poet_kelly
on 8/23/11 4:28 am - OH
Something like this for me:

Breakfast - protein bar or shake (200 calories or a little less, 15-20 grams of protein, usually)

Lunch - one cup leftover vegetarian chili from last night's dinner with a little shredded cheese on top, or a grilled cheese sandwich (maybe around 250 calories and 15 grams of protein)

Afternoon snack - Carbmaster yogurt (a little less than 100 calories, 8 grams of protein - but when I count up my protein, I usually round off the numbers so it's easier to add in my head, so I'd call that 10 grams)

Dinner - Tonight it's gonna be spaghetti, which is not the best choice for me.  But my partner loves it and it's cheap and for some reason I have a ton of it in my pantry.  I was gonna make it last night but ended up doing bacon (the fake soy stuff) and scrambled eggs instead.  So tonight will be spaghetti and green beans.  I'll eat about a cup of food, maybe a little bit more.  (Maybe around 300 calories, hardly any protein, I know - but I'll still hit my 60 - 70 gram goal for the day).

Evening snacks - I stay up late so I usually end up  having two evening snacks, one around 8:00 9:00 and one around midnight.  Probably one Carbmaster yogurt, maybe wilth half a banana sliced up in it.  (Around 100 calories, a little more with banana, 10 grams protein).  My other snack in the evening is usually a protein bar or shake (again no more than 200 calories, 15-20 grams protein)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MissTootsie
on 8/23/11 4:35 am - MA
Thank you Kelly!  You are SO helpful to everyone!  

wonkad
on 8/23/11 4:35 am - IL
When I was actively losing, it was only three meals for me (not including protein drinks).

I'm in maintenance now so six + meals is a must for me. I will lose more weight if don't eat often and my RH won't be controlled.

Here's today's menu:

Pre-B: Click Protein
B: Oatmeal with protein, bacon
MS: Peanut Butter with apples or celery
L: Beef Taco
MS: Cheese sticks
D: Pork chops, fried corn (made with bacon) and if I have room, biscuits
ES: Leftover bacon and a hard boiled egg.
Last snack - Peanut butter on toast.

I do eat often. This works for me and YMMV.

shock.gif

**Weight loss since June 08**

sunpat41
on 8/23/11 4:44 am
Hi  how are you doing? we had surgery the same day I have lost 58 lbs, I do 2 shakes a day, one in the morning and one in the evening, I usually eat cottage chest with deli meat, Greek yogurt with blueberries and strawberries. Tonight is grilled chicken with veggies and before bed I have a few baby carrots
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

maggiet
on 8/23/11 5:26 am - Durham, NC
B: I usually have 20oz of coffee with 1.5 scoops of ZeroCarb vanilla cream protein and some sugar free hazelnut syrup

Snack1: quest protein bar

L: usually baked chicken - I get the stuff from Hormel - easy to bring to work or some Turkey. Sometimes it is leftovers from last night. Try to bring a vegetable as well. Maybe some carrots or lettuce. Some days I'll have cantelope.

Dinner: could be anything - we like to go out to eat and I often have a cobb salad, or filet mignon or any kind of fish and a vegetable

Snack 2: if I'm hungry I'll have something like cottage cheese with pineapple or even part of a protein bar. But I usually can't eat another whole protein bar. Sometimes a little bit of fruit.

I guess this is only 5 meals but close enough. I find I can't eat eggs anymore for breakfast and other stuff just doesn't agree with my pouch in the morning. but breakfast is the most important meal of the day so I hope this changes.
MissTootsie
on 8/23/11 5:47 am - MA

Thank you all for your suggestions! 

I really appreciate it and will try some of this out.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 6:33 am - Boston, MA
todays menu:

Breakfast: Beef Jerky
Snack: Beef Jerky
Lunch: protein Bar
Snack: Click protein drink
Dinner: Chicken and broccoli 
Snack: banana w/peanut butter (may or may not have this depending on how much I eat at dinner)

I'll be at 800 calories and around 75-80 grams of protein
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/23/11 8:28 am
I've only done 3 meals a day since surgery and that was over 9 yrs ago. I still eat protein forward or protein only meals. I do snack if I need to - lots of exercise means one or two snacks a day - but they're still protein based. Jerky, cheese sticks, etc. I have 3 main meals a day so that's what I count. I have been able to get in all my protein that way. If I don't exercise enough to justify a snack then I just stick to the three meals.

Jen 9 yrs post op.
gbsinsatx
on 8/23/11 2:00 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Please see my profile page for the eating plan I created. You may find it helpful.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics