Protein after surgery

LuckyTracy
on 8/24/11 10:49 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
First of all thank you everyone yesterday who supported me with my first post.  Now on to my second post.  I have read the information from my nutritionist and this is what it says I should be eating/drinking after I come home from the hospital:

Water, Sugar Free Jello-O, Hot Tea, Broth (Between meals throughout the day)

At breakfast, lunch and dinner time, comsume one cup (8ounces) of milke/protein shake over one hour which is equal to  2 ounces every 15 minutes.

Instead of plain brother, I may use strained soup for better flavor if I prefer

I can also add in sugar free popsicles to count towards my fluid intake.

My question is what form of protein/shake do most people prefer.  I want to make sure I get in as much protein as possible, I was told I need at least 20 grams a day for the first 1-2 months.

My choices are:  Bariatric Advantage Shakes, Carnation Instant Breakfast, ISOpure, EAS myoplex carb sense, EAS AdvantEDGE carb control.

Which of these choices makes people feel the most satisfied, without breaking the bank.  Also I am allergic to citris so non of that allowed?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Lisa R.
on 8/24/11 11:10 am - CA
 I think Isopure is horrible, if you choose that try it BEFORE you buy a lot of it.  It is terrible. Some people like it.

The EAS shakes are horrible too, I think, but i am really picky about protein.

You did not list Pure Protein, can be found in many places, they have pre made shakes that are 35 grams of protein per 12 ounces.  That is what I use.  Vitamin Shoppe has all kinds of flavors including banana, strawberry, vanilla, choc and cookies and cream.  I can drink those, but all others make me puke.  

The hardest part of this whole thing, for me, has been protein. But you might be lucky and be one other those lucky ones that loves their shakes or loves the protein water.  

Good luck

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
2nd_Chance_Chick
on 8/24/11 11:45 am
I like chike(speaking now as pre-op),body fortress vanilla,myoplex vanilla,eas advant edge vanilla and . These are the only one that I like so far.

I have tried several and blahhh.

Congrats on your surgery soon to come!

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

vitalady
on 8/24/11 11:47 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Why are you limited to largely inferior products?

Good proteins can be shaken in 4-8 oz of water (then no added sugars) and consumed within 15 minutes, 30g.

I'm kinda wondering how you'd live if your day was eating and drinking all day. I drink 6 shakes/day, many short ones (4 oz), and some are pretty tasty, but all are better quality than your choices.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

LuckyTracy
on 8/24/11 12:05 pm - Highlands Ranch, CO
Those were the suggestions of the nutritionist.  What do you use? 

I think the diet she suggested is just for the first 10 - 14 days after I come home from the hospital.  I appreciate any and all suggestions.  Didn't really know that there is inferior products out there?

vitalady
on 8/24/11 12:51 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94

Any of these are what I use:

1.) Gaspari Myofusion double chocolate or chocolate peanut butter OR a combo
of those 2 with 6-8 oz water + about 1/2 **** I use a Magic Bullet or a
hand blender. Full sized blenders double the size of my drink and make me
burp too much! Using this method, I get a thicker or thinner Wendy's Frosty
type drink, depending on the ice/water ratio
2.) Champion Pure Whey Stack choco + 6-8 oz water, shaken.
3.) IDS vanilla-cinnamon + "glop" of DaVinci sugar free caramel sauce + 8 oz
water + ice, blended.
4.) the PWS chco + the van-cin (50/50) in about 10 oz ho****er, stirred or
hand blender.

They deliver 30g protein, less than 3g sugar, less than 200 calories, when
made with water.

Lately I've been adding a shake of cinnamon to my hot ones since cinnamon
fights belly fat.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

YankeeRose
on 8/24/11 12:18 pm - Meadville, PA
You could try using an unflavored whey protein (I use Unjury) and put it in your broth/soup, sugar free pudding, etc. to boost the protein content of your allowable foods. I was also told to use sugar free carnation instant breakfast immediately post-op (and that it what they gave me in the hospital) but it does not have as much protein in it as some of the other whey protein powders. You basically have to try different brands until you find one you like. many of the brands have websites where you can order samples to try before you spend money on a big tub of something you might not like. I just ordered samples from Unjury that includes 2 single size servings of each of their flavors including the unflavored and the chicken soup, a shaker cup and a food thermometer. This sample pack was around $17 but some of the companies have free samples. Celebrate has a free sample package that includes all kinds of their vitamins and they just sent me a free sample of their ENS vitamin/calcium/protein shake mix.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

poet_kelly
on 8/24/11 12:53 pm - OH
Oh, gosh.  You need WAY MORE than 20 grams a day.  You need a minimum of 60 grams a day.  I use the formula suggested by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, which is 1.1 gram protein for every kilogram of ideal body weight.  Basically that comes out to about half a gram of protein for every pound of your ideal weight (not current weight).  My ideal weight (says my surgeon) is 140 pounds so I need 70 grams of protein a day.

Now, doing three shakes a day, you should have no trouble getting 60 grams at least.  If a shake has less than 20 grams of  protein, it's not really a protein shake.  That means Carnation Instant Breakfast is out.  Mixed with eight ounces skim milk, it only gives you 13 grams of protein.  Not worth bothering with.

Everyone has different tastes but there are tons of options out there.  The ones you listed plus a bunch more.  I like Chike, I like Oh Yeah ready to drink shakes, I like BSN Lean Dessert shakes, I used to like the Atkins shakes but for some reason don't like them as much anymore.

You can get samples of a bunch of different brands from vitalady.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

flyingwoman
on 8/24/11 1:22 pm, edited 8/24/11 1:23 am
After surgery I found milk mixed protein shakes to be too thick to get down comfortably. I used Nectar Fuzzy navel and Iced Tea exclusively. They mix with water and are very light and tasty. I never had toruble getting my protien in (My program recommends 60 grams, but I took 80 as my baseline).

They have 90 cals, 26 g of protein, 0 carbs.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Gail S.
on 8/24/11 9:37 pm - New York, NY

When I had surgery, my surgeon's recommendations also listed Carnation Instant Breakfast, but I quickly figured out it just wasn't enough protein. I like the shakes from http://www.tryabouttime.com/ You can mix them with milk or water. Personally, I only do water bc post-op milk bothers my tummy, but that may not be true for you. I buy the shake and go containers. I find it so easy to just throw in my bag when I'm going out and to keep in my desk at work. They also have samples packets you can buy. Most of their shakes are 125 calories, no carbs or sugars and 30 grams of protein.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to try several shakes before you find the one that works best for you. Don't buy a lot of any type because your tastes/tolerance changes often.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics