Clear Liquid diet question

Raynae S.
on 8/27/11 4:44 am - PA
 When I get home from the hospital I will be on a clear liquid diet.  Am I supposed to add unflavored protein to my liquids?  Also any suggestions on which kind of unflavored protein I should buy?  I really don't want anything gritty.  Thanks everyone...my surgery is on Friday :)

Eliza55
on 8/27/11 4:57 am - PA

While you are on a clear liquid diet, you don't add any protein.  It's just broth, water, jello, crystal light etc.  Don't worry, it only lasts a couple of days, and you won't be hungry.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

poet_kelly
on 8/27/11 5:04 am - OH
Many surgeons do recommend clear protein drinks when patients are on a clear liquid diet.  I was given clear protein drinks in the hospital.  I don't think the point of clear protein drinks is to prevent hunger, I think it's because our bodies need protein in order to heal from major surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 8/27/11 5:00 am - Chandler, AZ
My surgeon had us drink the Isopure RTD bottles in any flavor except ones colored red (in case we vomited and it would not get confused as blood).
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

poet_kelly
on 8/27/11 5:02 am - OH
On clear liquids, I would try one of the clear ready to drink proteins like Isopure or Cytosport.  But you can add unflavored protein to any liquids you like.  As far as what kind to buy, everyone has different opinions on that.  I think the best thing to do is buy some samples of different ones so you can see what you like before you buy a whole tub of something.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 8/27/11 7:00 am - MN
 Depends on your surgeon and your plan.  I was sent home on a clear liquid diet (just got home today) and only water, jello (SF) and broth and propels etc.  My nurse actually told me to get some juice that doesn't have sugar in it, and drink like 4 oz and dilute it with some water once a day.  She thinks it helps a persons thinking process.  lol  No protein addition in my diet at all.  Good luck on your surgery.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Raynae S.
on 8/27/11 7:47 am - PA
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to GNC tomorrow!
barbiieedoll
on 8/27/11 9:38 am
I have heard this one is good tasting with no griddy aftertaste...haven't tried, still waiting on insurance approval
https://www.unjury.com/reg/chocolate_flavored_protein.shtml

I think I might try this when its time
YankeeRose
on 8/27/11 2:00 pm - Meadville, PA
I wasn't sent home on clear liquids, I was allowed full liquids. However, I do know that they added unflavored protein to my liquids in the hospital, broth, juice, etc.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?