Pre Op weight loss

RainDiva
on 8/26/11 10:25 pm
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share that I now have my surgery date of Oct 11, 2011
I had a hard time at first sticking to a diet for the pre op weight loss one month I would lose 4 pounds and then the next gain 3. What really made my doctor mad was July's visit I gained 14 pounds in one month. I was gouging on everything I could get my hands on. Anyways at that visit he told me I will not operate on you until you lose some weight. I guess that was my wake up call. He had me see the nut and we went over yet again what I should be eating and how much, but this time I really listened. She suggested that I try a meal replacement. I was to have 3 bariartic advantage meal replacement shakes a day and a low cal senisble meal for dinner. Which I followed to a T. Along with 64 ounces of water, I will admit I hate exercise so during this time I maybe walked twice in the whole month for 30 mins and still lost 25 pounds in 30 days. I know that I have to start exercising so I am starting at the local Y again. I love curves too but to far from where I work and dont want to make excuses anymore. So Sorry for the long post but if anyone is struggling to lose the pre op weight dont give up. Maybe try the meal replacement. Nut said the first ingried must be whole protein isolate. cant be like slim fast, or just plain protein. Bariartic advantage is online but they are around 60.00 per bag, doc office charged 50 a bag but seriously it may seem like a lot of money but if you follow this you wont be spending a lot for food anyways, The senisble meal should be about 4 oz of protein, lots of veggies, whole wheat everything, and low fat diary. Again this worked great for me may not work for you. Also first couple of days I was cranky and had a headache, hungry. But after that it became easier and I wasnt so hungry. One last thing the meal rep can wear on your nerves a little at first I was like oh these taste good I can do this but 3 a day for 30 days yeah no more please. I found a lot of recipes to spice them up. like adding a little peanut butter or pumpkin spice, cinnamon. I didnt like it with water had to use skim milk, but you can add fruit or yogurt. Ok I hope this helps some people. 

Gina1013
on 8/27/11 12:59 am - Canton, OH
 That is great that you haver already lost 25 lbs!
  I am on a pre-op diet also. My dietician told me that I could use 'Body Fortress', which I buy at WalMart for $14.88 for a 2 lb container. I also take a multi-vitamin daily. One scoop has 26 grams of protein and 140 calories. 

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

Eliza55
on 8/27/11 3:13 am - PA

Hi
I lost about 25 lbs in 2.5 months before surgery on a regular diet.  I followed the nutrionists recommendations all the time - eating 3 tiny  meals a day and 2 snacks, and walked 30-60 minutes a day.  The walking was nothing strenous, just around the neighborhood.    These were habits that I will need to maintain after surgery, so I started right away.  

Just so you know, after surgery, I am doing liquid and pureed foods for 5 weeks.  I'm getting very creative.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

FleurDeLis
on 8/27/11 7:21 am
Start exercising. If you don't, about 25% of the weight you lose will be muscle mass. That is why they stress this point.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views