What should I take to hospital

RainDiva
on 8/27/11 1:33 pm
Can anyone give me a list of items I will need to take to hospital that i didnt think of

robe and slippers
ipad
phone and charger
magazines
toothbrush and toothpaste
chap stick and deodorant
baby wipes
comfy clothes
3 pairs of sweat pants and t shirts
cpap machine
pillow and blanket

also i read not to take my meds to hospital in brochure but on the surgeons instruction sheet it states to not only list all meds, doses and times but to bring with you
did you bring meds

Jeanne190
on 8/27/11 1:48 pm
Hi!  I took my meds with me in a big plastic bag.  I like your list...esp that your iPad is #2!  haha  You won't need slippers .... I liked wearing the rubber bottomed socks they provided.  Nonslip and they were warm!  I did not take a robe either.  I didn't read any magazines.  I was only there one night so, slept and walked that night.  I didn't take baby wipes but, did take sweatpants and shirt to wear out of the hospital.  I would keep a pillow in my car to hold over your tummy while you drive home...those bumps can be killers.  I went very light because I knew I'd only be there one night!  It was Christmas time and I wanted to go home and prepare for Christmas dinner and Christmas Day for my 5 year old!  You've got this girl!  It's gonna be easy and you're going to do wonderful! 

Best of luck to you!
Jeanne
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.  ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

RainDiva
on 8/27/11 2:01 pm
Thank you lol I dont know what I was thinking the ipad should have been first. I always have it with me lol never leaves my side. Also would like to take a little desktop fan with me I love to be cold and need the white noise
Cheryl N.
on 8/27/11 2:07 pm - Des Moines, WA
dont need to bring blanket/pillow (if you do bring pillow, leave it in the car for ride home) as hospital will provide you. 

I took my Nook, laptop, dvd player, and I ended up not using them because I did not feel like reading or anything like that, I was out most of the day after surgery.   I did use my droid some, though.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

coolcatkimmie
on 8/27/11 2:08 pm - Haughton, LA
Sounds good, maybe a little over packed, but you know what you need and will be comfortable with having.  I was only there two days and had two gowns, three pair of panties three pair of socks toothbrush and toothpaste, and my toothbrush was a lifesaver because the dry mouth is so bad, I kept brushing my teeth most of the times without the toothpaste becaue it just felt good to wet my mouth and scrape off my teeth and the toothpaste seemed to make it more dry, so I just saved that for my morning and night brushings, my robe, deoderant, and phone charger.  My friend later brought me a people magazine, but I only read a couple of articles in the hospital, becaue I slept most of the time and when I was a wake, I was walking the halls or answering e-mail or text on my phone.  I wound up not using my pretty new gowns at all, it was just easier to stay in the hospital gowns with all the IVs and tubing and I didn't wear any panties the entire time, because they would have rubbed on my incisions.  I did wear my slippers, because they did not give me any little rubber bottomed socks, just the TED hose, so my slippers came in handy. So basically out of the stuff I packed, I only used my toothbrush and toothpaste, deoderant, robe and slippers, and phone charger, and one pair of panties.  I wore the same clothes I wore to the hospital, because I had them on for a grand total of an hour the morning I got there.  So like I said, you will know what you need and will feel comfortable with having, but you can get by with bare necessities.  Plus I live 15 minutes from the hospital, so if I really needed something that I forgot, somebody could have brough it to me.  I know this is not the case for many people, so your list is fine, I don't think you have forgotten anything except I didn't see panties... lolol
  Kimberly                     Faith makes things possible, not easy!

monicapena
on 8/27/11 2:32 pm - OH
WOW ! what a list.  LOL... It sounds like your going on vacation.  The Cleveland Clinic provided a care package with toothpaste & toothbrush, body wash, deodorant,etc. you get the picture. I liked the footie's they gave me with the skid free bottoms. I did pack my stuff but didn't need anything but my panties and brush and the clothes to go home in. The hospital gowns worked well because of the IVs. I didn't even look at my magazines or word search. I was in to much pain for any of those things. My sole goal was to take little walks down the hall. As far as my meds. The hospital had a list already and they asked me not to bring any in, but I guess that's up to your doctor/hospital. I did bring a list anyway just to be safe. They even provided me with a little pillow to huge when I moved, cough, etc,. I got to keep it and I still hold it to my stomach when needed. I love the Cleveland Clinic. Good luck and best wishes.
Monica
Godgaveus2
on 8/27/11 3:10 pm - WI
I just asked this question at my preop on Tues.  The nures's response was "nothing really".  Obviously, you will need to bring a change of clothes.  She told me they provide everything.  I even asked about a fan and she said the hospital provides them and to just let then know and they will have one in my room. Sweet!  I plan on taking a change of clothes, my personal care items, as I don't like their cheap crap, and my phone and charger.  That's about it.  I heard chapstick and mouthwash are a necessity!
cedarstar
on 8/27/11 4:27 pm - Manitoba, Canada
Here are a few items you may be interested in adding. 

Chaptick 
- small personal fan
- ear plugs or headphones to block out noise
- camera
- pillow (very useful for ride home also to hold against your stomach)

- a front closure bra
- slippers/slip on shoes
- elastic for hair
- pads (we often start after surgery)

(http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/aboutobese.html)

What should I bring with me to the hospital 
Basic toiletries (comb, toothbrush, etc.) and clothing may be provided by the hospital, but most people prefer to bring their own. Choose clothes for your stay that are easy to put on and take off. Because of your incision, your clothes may become stained by blood or other body fluids. Other ideas:

• reading and writing materials
  • crossword and other puzzles
  • personal toiletries
  • bathrobe

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

SweetGirl11
on 8/27/11 7:23 pm
Chapstick or lip gloss and baby wipes were high on my list too!  I would also suggest a good all-purpose moisturizing lotion such as Lubriderm that you can use on your face and hands as you will probably feel very dry.  I was too tired to wash my face in the sink, but I at least cleaned my face with the baby wipes and then put the Lubriderm on my face.

All the best to you in your upcoming surgery!

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

Proudtobaloser
on 8/27/11 9:42 pm - Fayetteville, NC
ok cross off the ipad, magazines, and blanket for sure. As you most likely will not be using them

the robe is a good idea BUT they will provide extra gowns for you.

I took my slippers but didnt need them.

Rarely used my phone.

DEFINATELY take your own toothpaste and toothbrush (the toothpaste they have feels like butter with sand crystals in your mouth0 bleH)

chapstick yes

Deodorant DEFINATELY

NOT baby wipes but flushable MOIST WIPES (ahem this is for helping wipe down and back there where the sandpaper thin as hell TP the hospital has will tear ya butt up).

OK just use their gowns, no need in getting potential funky drainages (yes I had a drainage issue my second day) on your clothes. Are you gunna wanna wash them when you go home?

The comfy clothes (just wear there what you want to wear out of there, make sure shoes are comfy too).

CPAP Machine- I would ask about that if you havent already.

Pillow sure, blanket nah. Reason i say sure on own pillow is I found I slept better with my own pillow.

Do not take your meds, you already gave them a list. I didnt have to take mine.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views