2 weeks since had surgery

dawn5311
on 8/30/11 1:37 pm - Plainfield, IN
It has been 2 weeks since surgery and I am so tired!? Is this normal? I am fighting to get the protein in. Fighting to get the liquid and vitamins in. JUST SO MUCH! I feel like I am loosing it!? I just want to sleep right now. The incisions are healing good. The dr put me on pureed food and that was a disaster. I have thrown up 3 times now. One time there was  alot of blood. I am not sure if I need to be worried about that or not? Can someone explain to me or break it down simple what they did or what they are doing? I just feel so overwhelmed. I look at the clock and the day is almost over and I realize I have not gotten 3 meals in or all the vitamins etc... HELP! PLEASE!

Finally had surgery on Wed Aug 17th! Came home on 22nd! Thank you Dr. Mattar

Mama-Z
on 8/30/11 1:59 pm
Hi Dawn!  I know what you mean about the tiredness but we did just have major surgery and it will take a while.  From what I've been reading most people kick back in at about the 4 week mark.  Right now hydration is more important than the protein.  Try to get as much of the protein as you can but most people post op take a while to hit the targets for it.  I have had only one bad experience so far and it too was the day I started the creamy food.  I made eggs for dinner.  They were scrumptious!  but later for a snack I drank a shake and instantly felt nauseous.  Went to bed about an hour later, felt really bloated from the shake and took gasx and that made it even worse.  Ended up having dry heaves all through the night.  Really made me nervous to try to eat anything for a couple days...but so far so good.  Shakes still aren't my favs anymore... loved them pre op!  But now they just seem to bloat me up.  Switched to almond milk and that has helped a little.
The ONE thing that I would call the doc about is vomiting blood.  That to me sounds very serious. 
Listen to your body, my friend.  Rest when you need to but try to get your liquids in so you don't end up back in the hospital. 
I hope tomorrow brings a better day for you!

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 2:22 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
(((Hugs)))

Anesthesia can hang on in your system for WEEKS.  They don't tell you this.  It can take up
to a month or more to work it's way out of your body.  The only relief:  Nap as Needed.
Sleep, dahlink.

Don't try to eat too much at once.  Sometimes your sensitive pouch can only take a tablespoon
or two at first. 

Did the "blood" happen only once, or is it continuing?  There could be some residual blood at
the surgery site, but it should have been absorbed and gone by this time.  Please do call your
surgeon.

The timing of vitamins & supplements is difficult for newbies;  don't worry, you'll get it!!

Get your liquids in, first.  You don't want to be put in the hospital for dehydration and being
given an IV.  Try Diet Snapple, the Isopure clear protein at GNC, room temp water with some
lemon in it. It all works.  If you start feeling nauseous or getting dizzy, get some help for the
dehydration right away as you can fall over sideways from being dehydrated and scare your
entire family to death.

If you have questions please do call your doctor.  While this site is full of helpful folks, we are
only as good as a keyboard can make us, and for recovery you need to stay in touch with your surgeon. 

Best wishes,

browneyez611
on 8/30/11 2:26 pm
I am also 2 weeks out and am also struggling with the protein.  My Dr. advised me to not worry about the protein this minute and just make sure to drink drink drink lots of fluids.  I on the other hand have more energy then usual.  I would suggest giving your Dr. a call to see if your excessive tiredness and the throwing up of blood is normal.  I am on pureed foods and have been fine.  I hope you feel better soon!

Melissa

coolcatkimmie
on 8/30/11 2:29 pm - Haughton, LA
So sorry you are feeling yucky and tired. Everyone's doctors are different. I was on clear liquid until yesterday when I advanced to full liquid with some extra add ins like runny oatmeal, cream of wheat, light yogurt. I just started on my vitamins yesterday as well. I take two chewable flinstone complete chewables and three Citrical Gummies, those are going well. I just found out I don't like orange flintstones anymore after surgery, but they were not horrible, just not my favorite. Tomorrow I will also start my slim fast shakes and have been instructed to only drink one a day at this point. My doc it more concerned with not getting dehydrated at this point than trying to make sure we get in all of our protein. Also got my first B12 injection yesterday which is supposed to give you energy, but Ive got more energy than I have had in at least six months because I no longer take any of my meds and think they were the main culprit of my exhaustion. So please don't feel overwhelmed, in the case of WLS, there really are more ways than one to skin a cat as the saying goes. Do what you can everyday, this is a lifestyle at this point, only do what you can that day and add a little more the next. If you force yourself to take in things you don't enjoy or make you feel sick, you are not going to continue to use them in the long run and then it will be really bad on you. Take babysteps day by day and know this phase will pass. Like Mama, I would definitely call your Dr about the throwing up blood, better safe than sorry. Hope you are feeling much better soon! We are here for you!
  Kimberly                     Faith makes things possible, not easy!

labellavita1982
on 8/30/11 11:42 pm - Neenah, WI
I was tired all the way out until 6 weeks out.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
ladybugnessa
on 8/31/11 12:06 am - Owings Mills, MD
tired can be from recovery
tired can be from anesthesia

but many many many times TIRED IS from DEHYDRATION... are you drinking as much fluid as you can???

if there is blood when you throw up you CALL THE DOCTOR or GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 2:17 am - OH
Call your doc about the blood, OK?

You're tired because you're healing from major, major surgery and because you're not getting enough water or protein and that makes you tired.  Sleep a lot, it's OK, it's good for you.

As far as the vitamins, focus on the multivitamins and iron right now.  You can wait a couple more weeks to add the calcium and B12.

Make yourself a schedule of when to eat and drink for now.  Try something like this, but adjust it of course to what time you normally get up.

9:00 am  Drink four to six ounces of something, quit drinking by 9:45.

10: 00 am  Take multivitamin, eat 1/4 cup yogurt or some pureed food, finish eating by 10:30

11:00 am  Start drinking.  Drink protein shake now if you want, or drink it at another time during the day if you prefer.  Try to drink at least one ouce every 15 minutes but drinking more than that is OK.  Eat a sugar free popsicle if you prefer.

12:45 pm  Stop drinking.

1:00 pm Eat 1/4 cup of something, finish eating by 1:30.

2:00 Start drinking again.  Do the same thing you did earlier.

3:45 pm Stop drinking.

4:00 pm.  Take multivitamin, eat 1/4 of something, finish eating by 4:30.

5:00 Start drinking, do the same thing you did earlier.

6:45 pm Stop drinking.

7:00 pm Eat 1/4 cup of something.  Finish eating by 7:30.

8:00 pm Start drinking.  Do the same thing you did earlier.

At bedtime - take iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Firefly48
on 9/1/11 7:07 pm
Oh I am sorry you are having problems Dawn. I was very very tired the first month and into the second month...BUT it gets better. I also struggled to get in all my protein drinks -YUCK. I was used to taking pills in a big handful and so when after surgery I was taking one at a time it seemed like it took me for ever to get them down.

If there is BLOOD-call your doctor!!! That's what they are there for! Remember to eat just a little. I mean half a teaspoon and then put it away. Then go back if that settles and try a little more later. Your body needs to adjust to all of this. If you don't get three meals don't worry-do what you can...Sip tha****er-which is still the part that drives me nuts, but you DO NOT want to get dehydrated.

Yesterday I was really  busy and didn't get in enough water and my body can really feel it. As soon as I got home I started drinking... the headache went away and I felt so much better. Listen to your body....

Hang in there...the first two months are the hardest....8)

Most Active
Recent Topics