vitamin question

Jackie M.
on 8/31/11 6:41 am - Fairhaven , MA
I am having my surgury on Tuesday Sept. 6.  I bought Upcal-D and I know your not suppose to take your multi vitamin with calcium.  Is it ok if I dont take the multi vitamin first thing in the morning and do it two hours later?  What do others do?  Thanks,  Jackie

aanmarie
on 8/31/11 6:53 am - NY
Hello
Im 4 months out.I was under the impression from info I obtained here that you could't take a multi vitamin and calcium together.It turns out that is not true.They can be taken together ,but the calcium could deplete the iron that's in the multi.If you don't have an iron problem I would take together as it so hard to fit in the calcium all day when trying to spread them out.I would definetly ask your doc, but this info is from my doc and he is from a center of excellence and very experienced.I'm sure you will get different opinions but my doc's office told me this was absolutely ok
poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 7:07 am - OH
I agree with your doc, for whatever that's worth, but just wanted to point out that the fact he is at a Center of Excellence really has no bearing on whether or not he knows anything about vitamins.  Docs must do several things to be named a Center of Excellence, such as offering a professionally facilitated support group and having extra large beds and wheelchairs.  However, they do not have to provide patients with the vitamin guidelines established by the ASMBS (even though that is the group that names places as Centers of Excellence).  They can tell you to take Flintstones and Tums.  They can tell you not to take any vitamins.  And still be a Center of Excellence.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aanmarie
on 9/1/11 3:15 am - NY
Kelly you are kidding right?If my surgeon new nothing about vitamins and Wls I would not have used him.Just to clear that up.My doc is a renowned bariatric surgeon and actually a speaker for ASMBS.They have nutritionists and support groups.Like I said it will deplete the iron,it turns out most will need iron anyway and that shouldn't be taken with the Citrate.The little bit you get from a multi is most likely not enough in the long run anyway,so why make it harder to get the supplements in if you don't have too.I now need iron supplements and I don't take them with the Citrate and Im able to get everything in easier.My levels are normal now that Im doing this.I do know what it means to be a Center of Excellence too.
poet_kelly
on 9/1/11 3:46 am - OH
No, I'm not kidding.  Your doc may be very knowledgable about vitamins.  All I am saying is that knowledge about vitamins is not required of doctors in order to be named a Center of Excellence.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aanmarie
on 9/1/11 4:25 am - NY
My point was that if your doc tells you to take tums and Flintstones they are probably not the best choice of surgeons.I pointed out the Center of Excellence because of the requirements to be a center of Excellence.*****ally cares as long as you are getting advice from your TRUSTED doc and nutritionist.There is alot of misinformation on here.I just learned the hard way to ask my doc before taking advice from people that have not had extensive training in school.I love this site for many reasons but I will not take medical advice from here again
poet_kelly
on 9/1/11 4:31 am - OH
I don't think anything posted on OH (or any other internet forum) is meant to be considered medical advice.  There is information here, some very good information, I think, but it's not medical advice.  Everyone needs to evaluate any information they get from any source and decide what is best for them.

I don't think that just because a doctor tells you to take Flintstones, that means he's not a good surgeon.  Knowing all about vitamins is a very different skill than cutting someone open, rearranging their insides and sewing them back up.  Someone could know a lot about vitamins but have no idea how to perform surgery on a person, and someone could be very good at cutting and sewing but know very little about vitamins.

Most doctors do not get extensive training on nutrition in school, either.  They typically get one course in nutrition, which covers the basics.  If your doctor has had extensive training on nutrition as well as surgery, that's wonderful.  Sounds like you have a very good doc.

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 7:04 am - OH
First of all, you CAN take calcium with your  multi IF your multi has no iron in it or if you don't care about absorbing any iron in your multi.  I take calcium with my multi.

If you do not want to take them together, it does not matter what time you take your multi.  Keep in mind, with most brands you need two multis a day.  Sometimes more.

Jackie M.
on 8/31/11 10:10 am - Fairhaven , MA
Hi, thanks to both of you for your answers.  Yes my multi have iron in them and I was told not to take it at the same time i take calcium.  I just wasnt sure if i could take it a couple of hours after i take calcium.  Was wondering how other people took their vitamins.
poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 10:23 am - OH
Yes, you can take the multi a couple hours after you take calcium.  I take my two multis with calcium, plus another dose of calcium on its own, and then iron before bed with no other vitamins except vitamin C (helps with absorption of iron).

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 191 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?