When can you swallow pills?

jenysez1
on 8/31/11 3:00 am - LA
How long after a RNY did it take to swallow pills.  I am so sick of these chewable vitamins and crushing my medicine. 

Jenny

Susan M.
on 8/31/11 3:14 am - Howell, MI
I agree, I heard some people never have had to crush them, I think it is all up to your Dr. or Nut.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 3:19 am - OH
See, that makes no sense to me.  I understand that different docs and dieticians have different opinions on this issue.  But how could it be that if I see Dr. A, I can safely swallow pills the day after surgery, but if I see Dr. B, I cannot safely swallow them until six weeks after surgery?  Does Dr. A do something significantly different when he does an RNY that makes it safe to swallow pills right away?  I don't think so. 

And as far as your dietician, well, how does which dietician I see affect whether or not I can safely swallow pills?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MastoDon
on 8/31/11 3:14 am - Los Gatos, CA
I've seen many posts here on this board from folks who were allowed to swallow whole pills by their surgeons while still in the hospital.
As for myself, I was taking whole pills (Centrum multivitamin, Citracal calcium supplements, and other meds) less than three weeks post-op.  I never had one single problem with the pills.  Even the big ones.  I normally swallow them one-at-a-time in succession at the tail end of my morning protein shake or the tail end of my dinner meal.
I also grew to dislike the taste and the mouth feel of liquid or chewable vitamins and supplements, and was very happy to be able to get rid of them in favor of the whole pills.
Good luck.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

jenysez1
on 8/31/11 3:22 am - LA
I emailed my doctor to ask.  I am getting so sick of these chewable vitamins and having to crush my medicines.  I tried some liquid forms of my medicine, they taste like HOT DAMN Snapps and Black Licorice....nasty and burn going down my stomach.  Just my luck my doctor will say 6 mths or a year.  I can only wish.   Thanks Jenny

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 3:16 am - OH
The ASMBS says as soon as you can tolerate them. 

I was swallowing pills about 12 hours after my surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathy M.
on 8/31/11 3:17 am - summershade, KY
I was taking pills after surgery

Kathy M

Samantha L.
on 8/31/11 3:51 am - Petaluma, CA
I started swallowing pills before I even left the hospital.

jenysez1
on 8/31/11 4:01 am - LA
Man yall have it awesome.  My Nut said 6 mths.  I am asking my doctor just to see what he says, but compared to everyone's experience (diet, preops, etc.) My doctor is always to the extreme. 

Nessy2976
on 8/31/11 4:34 am - MD
My doc told me at my first week check up as long as they were not bigger than an asprin, I could take them or a tylnol. That was all I needed to hear!!  Been taking pills ever since. Today I found Citracal +D Petites!!!  They are small and went down just fine!!!
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
Most Active
Recent Topics