I Come from TN with a Banjo on My Knee

Brazilnut2
on 9/1/11 11:15 pm - TN
Hoping, trusting, praying that my WLS would make a difference in my arthritic knee, I am disappointed, now almost 25 lighter, that my knee has gotten worse instead of better.  I really DO feel like I have a banjo on my knee, or an anvil, or a grand piano.

My knee seems more swollen and is hurting.  Of course, I don't take my NSAID for it anymore since pre-op.  The earliest I can get in to see my orthopedist is in a week.

If he tells me he needs to go in and to laprascopic surgery, YIKES!

Right now, I am 3+ weeks RNY post-op.  I'm just wondering if anyone else had to deal with ortho/arthritis problems post-op and/or if anyone had another kind of surgery soon after post-op.  I'm thinking if any kind of surgery is needed that I would like to wait until December.  (This darn knee has been operated on before, back in 2008.)
TxSuz
on 9/2/11 12:54 am
 I have had 3 knee surgeries total( before my RNY). I had an ACL repair and meniscus repair on my left and a meniscus repair on my right. I have read that for every pound lost is 5 pound pressure off your knees. That being said I think it took a good couple of months for my knee pain to subside. I am sure you are having pain b/c of you not taking NSAIDS any longer. However it DOES get better. I now can do things I couldn't do before, and I don't take any meds for it. I hope yours gets  better soon!!
 -Suzanne

Kim S.
on 9/2/11 1:03 am - Helena, AL
Yep--I had arthritis before and once I lost some weight and started hiking and running it got worse.  My ortho did an MRI and said that I have some damage in there, but running/hiking wont make it any worse...I got the "****tail" shot in my knee and he told me that I could do it every 3 months if I needed it. 

Only had it once.  Kept running and hiking and it has improved tremendously.  I hardly have pain now, except during big changes in weather...and if I go run, then soak in a hot tub, it is good as new.

Kim

AwesomeForever
on 9/2/11 2:43 am - Marlborough, MA
My knees were bad enough in 07 that my ortho said that I would need full replacement of both knees. It was hard to keep walking and working with bad knees but I did. I get cortisone shots as I have no cartilage. Yet, my weight loss has vastly improved and I can tell you that I had the shots last August because I was going to Europe for 5 weeks with climbing castles to mountains involved. I am going to a country where the hills were formed by volcanic action and opt to get cortisone next week. Why? Because it is all walking once we get into the villages and the shut ins I will visit live in small homes on the side of the hills.  

I take a joint supplement like Triple-flex. It is working. I did not believe the hype but was told to take it by my surgeon. There are many products that will serve you well. I know it is one more pill. Well, several as it is either 3 or 4 depending on the dosage.

I would elevate your legs when you can.

I now and again have stiffness or a hurt twinge but I am fully cognizant of the effect of weight loss on my knees. 

I do hope you start experiencing a much improved life.

Linda
Brazilnut2
on 9/2/11 4:03 am - TN
Thank you kind ladies for responding to this.  I probably will have to get the cortisone shot.  My knee was hurting so badly before my surgery that I wanted one then, but my surgeon said "no way."  Apparently, cortisone will mask an infection.  I hate not being able to use walking to exercise like I want to.
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/2/11 5:59 am, edited 9/2/11 5:59 am
There are some natural supplements for inflammation. may not be best idea to take them before surgery - but you may try them after. 
I deal with muscle pain - back pain.   The natural stuff works differently to the "NSAids".
i.e. flax meal - and flax seeds, Flax meal oil. Fish oil.  (due to malabsorbtion of fats - need to take more in first 1-2 years post op RNY). 
And so on...   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."