3 yr post-op trying to figure it all out

Cynthia L.
on 9/5/11 2:33 am - Clarence, NY
Kelly, thanks for reminding me of the ASMBS.  Unlike ONE guy we know, most think they (ASMBS) know what they're talking about.  LOL

.5 grm per pound of what I SHOULD weigh?  YIKES  I was way overdoing it.  (on a week when I was logging it and paying attention...not a week when I was surviving off of pretzels)

Which particular lab results indicates protein levels?  (I know, I should know this by now)  My total protein is 6.9, if that's the one that matters.

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

poet_kelly
on 9/5/11 2:37 am - OH
LOL

Yeah, .5 gram per pound of what you SHOULD weigh, regardless of how much you actually do weigh.

The labs you want to look at are total protein, albumin, and prealbumin.  6.9 is in the normal range for protein but I would prefer to keep mine there or even have it a little higher so I don't think I would cut back your protein much if I was you.  Like I said, some people seem to need much more than what the ASMBS says.  That's just a starting point.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cynthia L.
on 9/5/11 2:53 am - Clarence, NY
Goody!  I like my protein and wasn't looking forward to cutting it.

Albumin is 4.3

I don't see prealbumin on the list but am going in for my annual with my surgeon next month.  I'll make sure that test is ordered, if they don't do it automatically.

My D is 48 and that started at 21, at surgery and has gone up with each round of tests.  I live in the gloomy North East and take lots of Bariatric Advantage Dry D.

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

poet_kelly
on 9/5/11 3:02 am - OH
No, I would only cut it if your levels were really abnormally high.  It's technically possible to eat too much protein, but it would have to be an awful lot to cause you problems.  Unless you have kidney problems.  Anyone with kidney problems should talk about how much protein they need with their doc.

They don't always order the prealbumin unless you specifically ask for it.  Some people think it's important to get that one done and some think it's not really necessary.  I didn't use to do it but last time I got labs done I decided to go ahead and do it just to be sure everything was good.  I figured while they were taking 15 or 16 tubes of blood, a little more couldn't hurt!

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cynthia L.
on 9/5/11 3:15 am - Clarence, NY

Speaking of kidney function, mine may be "iffy."

Creatinine is a WEE bit out of normal .59...and normal is .60 - 1.10.

Bun/Creatinine Ratio is high, 23.2...with normal 6-22.

It's SO much to consider.

-Cyn

poet_kelly
on 9/5/11 3:25 am - OH
OK.  I probably wouldn't worry much because those are just off by such a tiny bit, but I am NOT suggesting you should ignore it when it's your kidneys.  Our kidneys are very important, obviously.  I would ask my doc to explain to me what those numbers mean exactly and if it's something to be concerned about and if it means I should be careful not to get too much protein.

It is a lot to consider.  Lots of nutrition-related issues are like this.  There are so many different factors to consider that it's hard to make many blanket statements that apply to everyone.  We have to customize our plans to fit us.  It is NOT a one-size-fits-all thing.  (And one-size-fits-all things rarely fit me when I was fat!)

sweetpotato1959
on 9/5/11 4:21 am
 I would up my protein by 20 and cut carbs to 35 or so...unless I was exercising very heavily..(.I don't have a gym within 30 miles, so that's not an option for me), but be sure to use the tools you have.
       A good starting point is to document what you have been doing, that did not work... then increase protein and water, at the same time decrease carbs and cravings.
       When my cravings go up I control them with a sublingual B complex  liquid...under the tongue in the morning..it gives an energy boost and in 2 days no cravings...  You can also get a sun lamp to increae yourvitamin D, sit under it for 30 min daily.
Cynthia L.
on 9/5/11 6:49 am - Clarence, NY
I'm currently taking Bariatric Advantage Multi vites, but think I may go with Centrum Silver chewables when I'm done with what I have.

Plus I take BA: calcium, B complex, sublingual B-12, Vit D, Pro-biotics, Biotin and Proferrin ES and stool softeners.  Holy crap, that's a lotta stuff! 

-Cyn

fatfreemama
on 9/5/11 1:47 am - San Jose, CA
 Hi Cynthia,

I'm also 51, 5'4 1/2 and went from 349 to 176 (my lowest).  I actually waffled between 176-179 until my cruise in August.  My weight lost stopped also right around the 13th month.  Maybe it's our age?

I'm up about 5 pounds now which I'm struggling to get off, but I know what I'm doing wrong.  I don't actually count my calories.  I did religiously for the first 6 months but really hate doing it.  I do every so often.  I think I average around 1600-2000 per day depending how active I am.  I try to exercise 5x week and strength training 2x week.  I work M-Th and make all my work breakfasts, lunches, and snacks on Sunday so I only have to worry about dinner and watch the snacking when I get home.  I'm not so rigorous on weekends.

I could never get below 176, usually 178.  I'm now around 185.  I wear a size 10-12 depending on designer.  I would have liked to get to 160, but my body doesn't seem to want to go there.  And I like my eating pattern right now and don't want to deprive myself just to lose more weight.  I'm having plastics next month with a hernia repair, LBL with T-cut and thigh lift and the doc said it will take off about 10 pounds.  If I can, I'd like to get below 170 when I'm done just so I'm lighter than my 6' 1" skinny husband.  LOL  But then again, I'm 51 and married 26 years so does it really matter?

Good luck to you.
Jan 
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Cynthia L.
on 9/5/11 2:42 am - Clarence, NY
Wow Jan, you've done VERY well. 

I really hope I'm not just talking out my azz and like you, will work out that often.  I know, for me, that's what it will take to get the results I want.  If I can just GET there and let it become a habit, I'll like it, I have in the past.  I'm going to start easy with Aqua classes and something called Silver Sneakers (classes for old ladies but hey, it's a start).  I love strength training much more, so look forward to hitting the machines.

I can't imagine wearing a size 10-12.  The smallest I've ever been was a 13 and that was in 1978 @ 18 yrs old.  I don't know how that would convert to today's sizes.  That was 135 pounds. (I WAS
5' 5.5" and I felt FAT then, sadly)

I want to get the T as well.  I'm already scarred up from various surgeries, but just want to look good with clothes on.

My husband just had an RNY 3 months ago, and he's a big reason I want to get back in a healthy routine, so he won't pass me by and to ensure he does well.  He's 8 years younger and all of this is much easier on him.  Men!

-Cyn

Most Active
Recent Topics