More talk about going #2 (or NOT going I should say)

ssgoodri
on 9/8/11 11:44 am
Hi,
So this is my 2nd or 3rd time posting about poop, LOL ...  When I first came home from surgery (Aug 22nd was my surgery day) I was super constipated and had been for days, then after I got a bunch of suggestions on the forums, all of a sudden things REALLY started flowing (if you know what I mean)... I was very concerned because it lasted for several days, and at the time I wasn't drinking or eating much, so I called my surgeons office and they told me to just wait a couple more days and see what happened...  Well a few days later it stopped-- Yay!!!  But now we are back to square one and can't really go for the life of me. 

So I have a few questions:
1.  How much should I be going (right now IF I go, it is only a couple little nuggets - sorry that is kinda graphic)?
2.  Is constapation normal since we eat so little?
3.  If I need to take something should I be taking a laxitive, a stool softener or just fiber (when I am really plugged up, I am guessing fiber should be taken just to maintain)?

Appreciate the help on the topic again :)

Shannon
We've only just begun!  

Jackie M.
on 9/8/11 12:00 pm - Fairhaven , MA

wow, just came on the forum to post something about pooping and saw your post. LOL!  I had my surgury two days ago 9/6.   Have tons of gas pains and my intestines are definately making alot of noise ( think that is a good thing)  went to the bathroom and had a little diarrhea ( think that is normal too ) was a very dark color.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.  this forum is great for advice.  Also, how do i change my signature? 

mandajolyn
on 9/8/11 12:10 pm - Tallahassee, FL
It's common when you're on a high protein, low carb diet to have issues. It's very common among wls patients!

Lots and lots of water, Miralax is safe to take daily or a few times a week, a non stimulant stool softener like colace regularly helps.
The thing about fiber is if your not getting enough water it can have the opposite affect and make things worse so if you take fiber make sure you're drinking lots of water!!
Sometimes when you're really backed up taking something orally isn't going to solve the problem so there's glycerin suppositories and enemas that can help unblock you!
If you're on pain meds after surgery those are known culprits in causing constipation and can make things worse!
You'll find a system that works for you! Most important is the fluids..lots and lots of fluids!
I've had some pretty bad constipation issues as have many here!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Hillery82211
on 9/8/11 12:40 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
We had our surgery the same day (aug 22) and I'm having the SAME problem.  Right now, I'm using this "smooth move" tea that I got from whole foods.  If I drink it at night, in the AM I'm going.  I think the biggest problem that I'm having is that I'm not getting in enough water.  I know I'm not.  I have a difficult time drinking fluids so I think I might be dehydrated.  I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow to make sure and if needed they are going to admit me and get some fluids in me (lets hope that's not the case).

The PA told me today that it's normal to go every 2-3 days at this stage because we are eating so little.  The thing is that by day three I feel clogged up so I drink the tea I mentioned earlier every 2 days.  One other thing that I've found that works great is going for a walk.  When I'm feeling really clogged up, usually by the time I make it around the block, I'm running back to the house to the bathroom.  I haven't been able to walk much this week because it's been raining here all week so I'm really feeling clogged up.

I'll be watching this thread for other tips that folks share because i'm soo not used to this feeling.  I was very regular pre-op....I'm talking every morning like clock work.  Going three days just seems wrong to me.....
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 12:44 pm - OH
You should probably be going more than a couple little nuggets.

Constipation is common because we don't get much fiber in the beginning.

I would suggest using benefiber daily to see if that helps you get more regular.  Or you might want to try miralax.  I've been using that daily and it is working well for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

scrappygirl8
on 9/8/11 12:49 pm
Take probiotics daily. I cannot stress this enough. Research them. You will find out they occur naturally in your body, but can get wiped out by taking antibiotics. If that happends you can become constipated. I have started taking probiotics since I got a really bad infection after my surgery from being on antibiotics. They make you so regular, I have not been constipated since I have been taking them. Probiotics also occur naturally in some yogurts and other foods. I personally just take them in pill form every morning that way I know I am getting enough. I personally would try probiotics before I would try stool softeners or laxatives.
Hillery82211
on 9/8/11 1:06 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I take a probiotic daily....i actually use Power Dophilus daily.  I open up the capsule and add it to my protein shakes 2x daily and I'm STILL majorly clogged up.  I was on IV antibiotics after my surgery and I took them for 2 weeks pre-op, which is why I started taking the probiotic.  I felt like I needed to replace the good stuff the antibiotics killed off.  I'm also eatting yogurt and stuff and still not really seeing a differnce with the constipation.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 1:32 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Try Miralax 2X a week;  this should help to keep you regular.  I know if I take it more than that
it is not possible to control myself!  EEK! 

It's all trial-and-error, unfortunately.

Best of luck!
AnneGG
on 9/8/11 1:29 pm, edited 9/8/11 1:29 am
So- I take daily:
1 dose Miralax
4 Colace
2 tabs Magnesium Oxide
2 Fiber Choice pills
1 probiotic
1-2 cups of hot coffee in the AM

Works for me! But then I had chronic issues pre-op too.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 1:34 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Just try the Miralax 2X weekly;  this should keep you regular without making it impossible to
control yourself!

I also find a cup of strong coffee is great in the mornings.

Best wishes,
Most Active
Recent Topics