Stressed about work without food to cope with it...

Kim H.
on 9/9/11 7:23 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I've been up since 3 this morning thinking about work and feeling stressed and worried about going in. Finally, I gave up and called out. I still have to go in tomorrow but I'm hoping today I can pull myself together. I have to say that every week I seem to realize more and more how food acted as a stress reliever for me. I would regularly overeat (prior to surgery) after my shifts at the hospital as a sort of reward for making it through the day. I guess now I have to face the fact that I need to find new ways to deal with my stress and feeling overwhelmed. I know that this sort of emotionalism isn't uncommon after surgery. I guess I'm just starting to wonder if I'll need to change jobs along with eating habits and all the rest? Who knew this surgery would uncover so many things. I actually gained more than 10 lbs a year in the last decade since I became a nurse. Maybe now I'm just finally starting to look at the toll such a stressful job has on my life without food to cover up my feelings. I feel like my life is headed in the right direction but it's a difficult process at times and today is a prime example. Has anyone else been through a change like this?

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
seattledeb
on 9/9/11 7:54 pm
Maybe it's time for a different nurse job?
I do know after work was when I really use to binge it up. I don't really think it was so much stress but a "reward" for working. That involved driving by the donut house. Or the bakery. Or the bagel house.
Some mornings I have to physically steel myself ..to take a deep breath. I also usually plan a small meal that works for that time.
Good luck. I hope you find a way to let go of the stress.
Deb T>

T. Deeds
on 9/9/11 8:21 pm
You have to find other things to take the place of food in your life.  I used to use food to soothe myself, but now, for examply, I turn to music for the same effect.  If I want to reward myself, I might buy myself a book.  If I'm feeling stressed out or upset, I like to do some cardio exercises to work out any aggression I feel. 

Kim H.
on 9/9/11 9:41 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Thanks to you both. I went for a long walk and just got back. I'm feeling better already. Maybe I need to wake up early and walk before work to get some of my stress out- or maybe even after. I wish I could move to a less stressful job but I'm in grad school and my pay is high enough that I can afford to work part-time and survive. I've looked but there isn't anything even close to what I'm making available so, I need to learn to cope. I have 3 years of school to get through so I won't be changing jobs anytime soon. Hopefully, I can keep working to adjust my attitude and learn to cope little by little. Thanks again for the support. :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
ete77
on 9/9/11 11:44 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I feel for you Kim!  I really do!  I too have a stressful job and have gained at least 15lbs a year for the past few years.  I also don't have the option of leaving so I must find a way to cope.  Being pre-op I know I'll be dealing with alot of emotions surrounding eating and food and I am praying for a smooth transition or at least the grace to get me through  each day.

Ete 

Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.
Tony Robbins

Dan OBrien
on 9/10/11 4:16 am - FL
I did the same thing - eat to relieve stress and out of boredom.  I also have anxiety issues, which began shortly after I began my career in corrections 14 years ago.  When you think about work, think of all the people that you really help and touch - I know a lot of nurses really made a difference for me when I was going through my RNY in ICU.  I have inmates that threaten to kill me, but then they see me in Walmart when they get out and tell me how good they're doing, and thank me for the way I treated them, it puts things back into perspective for me.  Going to see a shrink may be a good choice - took a while for me to give into the fact that I needed to go, especially with the stigmatisms - but it is amazing how many co-workers go through the same things you do and are also going to the shrink.  Good to get the feelings out and talk with them too.

Good luck to you!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

Eliza55
on 9/10/11 10:28 am - PA
Stress at work is very harmful, and not only increases weight but much more. It sounds like you can't switch jobs, so please search out some counseling to address this.  My response comes from the fact that I've been there, my family needed the money, and I couldn't switch jobs.  It took a huge toll on my health.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics