Calorie counting?

Casey P.
on 9/18/11 10:41 am
 I'm about two weeks out and today I moved to soft foods.  I was curious so I added up my calories and protien and with my protein shakes and various soft foods (all protein and only 3 carbs, no sugar) my total calorie count was 359 cal! That sounds like a lot, but so little in comparison as to before my surgery.  Seeing that number filled me with anxiety, should I worry about counting calories, or should I just focus on getting my protein in and avoiding carbs and sugar? I'm doing good so far I lost 14lbs at 9 days post op but I want to do well! Any input about personal experience would help greatly! 
Thanks, 
Casey
"I'm not here to change lives"-Me
"You're no fun anymore"- Monty Python

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011
   "Let's try this again..."

poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 10:47 am - OH
359 calories is not a lot at all.  It's very, very little and soon you'll be needing more calories than that.  I don't think you need to count calories right now, though.  If you are getting in the amount of protein you are supposed to get and eating only healthy stuff, you will not be getting too many calories.  And if seeing the number causes you lots of anxiety, then just give yourself a break.  You can worry about calories in a month or two.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Casey P.
on 9/18/11 10:55 am
 Thank you so much for your fast reply, I just wanted to hear it from someone else. I'm just going to follow the rules and hope for the best!

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011

Price S.
on 9/18/11 10:59 am - Mills River, NC
We weren't to count calories, still aren't at a year.  i only count protein and now count carbs.  In the beginning, what is important is getting your protein and fluid. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Casey P.
on 9/18/11 11:04 am
 Thanks! Thats what I'm going to focus on, luckily I have no urge to eat carbs!!

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011

on 9/18/11 11:11 am - OR
I was usually right around 400 at that point in mine, and although I didn't have to count cals, I did, cause I was curios, and I used livestrong.com so it did it anyway :)
gbsinsatx
on 9/18/11 2:18 pm - San Antonio, TX
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18 months)

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Stephanie M.
on 9/18/11 11:04 pm - Los Angeles, CA
 In my opinion, calorie counting at the stage you are at is not necessary yet. Just make sure to stick to the measurment your NUT prescribed at this time and eat the foods on the list she gave you. You aren't really able to eat enough calories to become a problem yet, so just measure and give yourself time to heal up.