Day 1 of not smoking

danvet
on 9/18/11 10:40 pm
Today is my first day of being smoke free.  Funny how it seems that it's not that bad, yet.  I know it's going to be difficult.  I've been smoking for 31 years but I've read here on the posts about the need to quit smoking and being nicotine tested prior to surgery, so in keeping with my theme of getting healthy I'm kicking the habit.  I kind of figure that this is going to radically change my life so smoking should really be the least of the evils to quit.

What have you done to quit smoking?  What worked best?  Should I go to a nicotine patch???  

I drive all day for work and so I am worried if I'll be able to put those nasty cigarettes down for good. It'll be so nice to not smell like an ashtray or have bad breath.  Wish me luck!!! 
Kathleen W.
on 9/18/11 11:01 pm - Lancaster, PA
You're going to fine.  Good Luck. May I make a suggestion for you? When you have the urge to by cigerettes, put that money away somewhere.  When the money builds up,  treat yourself and/or your family to something.  Depending on the amount,  a night at the movies,  a romanitic long weekend somewhere, sexy cloths to turn the spouse on, etc.  You get the idea.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

sjweiser
on 9/18/11 11:05 pm
 Hi I am smoke free for a year. Well I wanted the surgery bad enough that I quit cold turkey.
My surgeon Told me he need me to quit smoking and i just did. I don't miss it.
I wish you good luck with out smoking.
KatCooper
on 9/18/11 11:05 pm - Collierville, TN
 I went cold turkey about 12 years ago.  I was a pack a day smoker for about 10 years.  I have friends who did really, really well on the nicotine gum.  It satisfied the oral cravings plus the nicotine cravings.  You might also see if your state has a "Stop" line.  In ND, the state will help you stop, your insurance may have something similar.   I will tell you that while I would not start smoking again, I still crave it.  I am one of those people who still likes second hand smoke.   I still miss smoking, but not nearly as much as I like not getting pneumonia or bronchitis twice a year, not smelling like an ashtray, and saving money (those things are expensive these days!!!)
Also you might speak to your PCP to see if they have some advice for you.  
Good for you though on quitting a habit that will kill you!!!!  Not unlike being overweight!!  :)  
Best wishes on your quest to quit!!!!
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

steve D.
on 9/18/11 11:25 pm - West Fargo, ND
Great Job!!!  Just remember, the urge to smoke will pass whether you smoke or not.  I quit about 2 years ago so I could have this surgery.  It was not always easy, in fact sometimes it was really tough, but I have been doing it, one day at a time.

I also joined an online support group.  It is free and I still use it.  Here is the url.

http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx

Good Luck!!

Steve

Mary B.
on 9/18/11 11:56 pm - Southern, MD
Congratulations on deciding to quit!! I quit Feb 2010.

I had quit once before in 2008, but unfortunately started again. I used Chantix both times. Both times I quit within the first week. I didnt have any of those crazy side effects. Maybe the wierd dreams, but I dream like that anyway.

One thing that helped me while driving were dum dum lollypops. I could hold it in my hand like a cigarette. Not smoking in the car was difficult.

Good luck to you. It CAN be done!!!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

S. Brown
on 9/19/11 12:31 am - Charlotte, NC
I was a smoker for 15 years, and I decided that I would be smoke free 2 years ago when I turned 30.  My doctor prescribed Chantix and I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have ANY side effects.  Yay me!  It worked like a charm and I have been smoke free since, it took the craving away completely.  Good luck to you and hang in there, you can do it!

Dave Chambers
on 9/19/11 12:32 am - Mira Loma, CA
This is Day ONE of many challenges that you'll face in the future.  I tried a variety of things in 1991 to stop smoking. Nicotine patches or other meds were not available back then.  I tried "cold turkey" more than one time without success.  I really wanted to stop, and that's a MAJOR part of the solution. I ended up going to a hypnotist for a group session to stop smoking.  Best $30 I spent in my whole life. Session had about 40 people there and took about an hour.  And do not fool yourself about "just stopping smoking until you have surgery".  Smoking as a post op is a recipe for a lot of health issues. Ulcers are very very common to those who begin smoking post op, and often end up with multiple surgeries or additional medications you have to take long range.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views