rational or irrational fear?

jennifer W.
on 9/20/11 1:55 pm
So I am making myself crazy! I keep thinking I am just going to stop losing weight. I don't think I am going to be able to lose 100 more pounds. In the past with diets I always stop losing when I hit 60lbs lost. I'm at 43lbs lost so I'm getting nervous. Do people ever just stop losing this early(3wks postop)? Or even in a few months?
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/20/11 2:06 pm - OH
No, no one stops losing weight at 3 weeks post-op!!!!  (It is a very common time for a stall, however, as your body adjusts to the drastic decrease in calories and the surgery...so be prepared!)

Losing weight after WLS is not like ANY previous attempt at weight loss, so do not let your previous weight loss efforts and failures make you crazy!   Because of your tiny pouch and the maximum malabsorption of calories immediately after surgery,  it is impossible NOT to lose weight the first 6 months.  After that point, you weight loss increasing depends more on your food choices thanb during the first 6 months, so it is important that you truly take advantage of theose first few months to develop new, healthy eating habits.  You will NEED those new habits to keep the weight off once you lose the malabsorption (18-24 months out) and move from losing mode to maintenance mode.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 2:09 pm - OH
Well, you are going to stop losing weight at some point.  You don't want to die of malnutrition, do you?

But I have never heard of anyone that stopped losing just three weeks post op.  I don't see how it could be possible.  Even if you tried, could you eat enough calories right now to stop losing?

Now, I've known people that had stalls just three weeks post op.  And when I say stall, I do not mean they did not lose weight for three days.  I mean they did not lose weight for as much as five or six weeks.  After which they went on to lose a hundred pounds or more.

Your fear is understandable, based on your past weight loss attempts.  However, it's not rational because if you think about it, there is no way you could stop losing this soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jennifer W.
on 9/20/11 2:14 pm
You both made me feel so much better. Thank you
thank you
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
immafatgirl
on 9/21/11 1:20 am - KY
= ) see nothing to worry about .
Most Active
Recent Topics