Carbanated drinks... have you tried any since RNY?

AngieT75
on 9/20/11 11:39 pm
I am too afraid to try them. any tried them? how was the out come?
I miss my diet ginger ale once in a while. was never really a soda drinker but once or twice a month i may have had a diet ginger ale or diet root beer.
I want one today... lol but are the rumors true? can we ever drink it again?

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

tanya8071
on 9/20/11 11:44 pm
from what i have been told by the NUT, nurses and also the dr's that your not supposed to be drinking anything carbonated

all the negative side effects they have told me could happen is enough for me to stay clear of it

~TANYA~

~NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS~

Rena H.
on 9/21/11 1:38 am
I looked on my hospitals website in the post-op gastric bypass diet and it states "Do not drink carbonated beverages (diet) until the fourth stage".  I would think around at least 3 months out and you should be good to go. I would assume it depends on each persons individual plan and what their doctors office prefered.   Best Wishes!  

Here is the link if you would like to read it.

http://www.carilionclinic.org/Carilion/Post-Operative_Diet_a nd_Exercise
Craig C.
on 9/20/11 11:44 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Yes you can. For some it may cause stomache discomfort but for most there is no problem.IT WILL NOT stretch your pouch. I dont know how far out you are but I waited until around the 3 month mark to try one and it went down fine.

Craig

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 11:49 pm - TX
I have had no problems with soda and/or carbonated waters. I drink diet coke every other day (those new little cans) or so and I have no problems. I don't drink it like pre-surgery (2 or 3 diet cokes a day) because I think anything in excess isn't good and I could easily replace my water with diet coke if I let myself.

I started at about 90 days out and I've never had problems with the carbonation part of it.
T. Deeds
on 9/20/11 11:52 pm
I've tried soda several times since my surgery, but it makes me feel like someone is throwing a raging frat party in my stomach, so I have quit trying to drink them.  I consider it a small sacrifice considering all that this surgery has given me.

Amy T.
on 9/21/11 12:58 am - CA
 I drink coke zero..... usually one a day, and it goes down fine for me.  Im 3 months out.  My surgeon and Nut said one a day would be fine.... there are worse things I could be eating/drinking...
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

poet_kelly
on 9/21/11 1:01 am - OH
Yes, I've tried them.  The carbonation gives some people painful gas but it does not bother me.

What rumors?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

msanson
on 9/21/11 2:38 am - CA
I haven't tried nor will I. My dr. And nut said to stay away from all carbomated drinks. I don't even have the urge for sodas or alcohol anymore!
AngieT75
on 9/21/11 3:05 am
Thanks all for your feedback. I am 10 months out, 139 lbs gone.
Yeah the rumors were the ones where they said your pouch blows up.
hmm I may try a sip or 2 today. or water it down and try a few sips. just the few sips will tied me over. Like i said i never was a soda fan anyway.
thanks

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?