TMI - Don't peak if you have a weak stomach!

Candigirl23
on 9/23/11 7:58 am
I had my RNY in April, removal of a foreign body (a stitch) in May, a hysterectomy in July and then a gallbladder attack and subsequent removal this month. I am having terrible gas pains, abdominal pain and now my BMs are white or tan and sandy looking... I looked up white poop on the forum and it seems pretty common. Some say to worry and others say its no big deal...

I don't want to say anything to my family because no one wanted me to have the RNY anyway, due to my sister having life-threatening complications from the DS. I have exhausted all my sick and vacation time at work.... I don't want to feel poor anymore! I have not worked but one day this entire month!

Ok.... So, the poop question... Worry or not to worry? Should I assume the gas, bloating and white poo are related. Ya know, Dr. House says nothing is ever a coincidence, they are always related. LOL!
~ THE BEST IS YET TO BE ~

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/11 8:42 am
I would watch that. White - light BM may be a sign of lack of bile - the bile turns it dark - yellow.
Mention that to the doc you see him next time.
If you develop any pain - it may indicate that the bile ducts from liver are blocked.
Also-  due to many surgeries - you may have a lot of yeast - fungi type growth. 
So watch for any yeast infection...

Good luck...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/11 8:45 am
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/AN00772

http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/pale-stool

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_causes_of_white_stool_in_ humans

and you can google more...

but try eating some fat- that may help to open the channels - they may be swollen from surgery...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Candigirl23
on 9/23/11 9:16 am
Thank you, Hala. I have read those articles. I am worried it is an issue with the liver since it started just after the gall bladder removal.

Paula F.
on 9/23/11 11:20 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Sure wouldn't hurt to check with your doc.  You don't want to mess with your liver.  By the way, you mentioned having your gall bladder out.  Do you mind if I ask if you took actigall after your surgery to prevent gall stones?  I have to take it and am wondering how well it works?
Candigirl23
on 9/25/11 1:02 pm
My surgeon did not give me actigall because in his experience he has not seen that it is very effective.

_Donna_
on 9/23/11 11:26 am
pale yellow bowels are usually a result of not having a gallbladder. I havent had a functioning gallbladder for 30 years so its normal for me
The gas and bloating is common for us.

RNY 5-5-2011

rbb825
on 9/23/11 1:56 pm - Suffern, NY
If you are having abdominal pains with white poops, you need to get to the ER.  This means there is something terribly wrong with your liver and possibly the bile ducts which could lead to pancreatitis.  These can all be life threatening and I wouldnt' wait until Monday. Do you have a fever? Please get it checked out.

kriskj
on 9/23/11 4:34 pm - Canada
even though your gallbladder is gone your body can still produce gall stones. Signs of gallstones include claycolored or sandy type poops....... you may need to have a stone extraction done if it doesnt pass.
   Since Nov '10        Since Surgery
Candigirl23
on 9/25/11 1:04 pm
How can you still have gallstones if there is no gallbladder?

Most Active
Recent Topics