drain incision still seeping?

LADYBUG 75
on 9/29/11 11:59 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi All!
I'm back after my RNT surgery last Friday and then a second clean up surgery on Saturday.  Apparently, I had a slipped stitch and some drainage went where it wasn't supposed to.  Anyway, they put a new drain tube in on my right side and it stayed there until I was released from the hospital on Tuesday morning.  Since then the wound has still been seeping at a pretty good rate (soaks thru 3 guaze pads in about 2 hours.)  The fluid is generally a light pink but has some yellow around the edges,  Does this sound normal?  The PA told me it would seal itself in about 48 hrs,,,

Tina

Nothing will work unless you do.-- Maya Angelou

glzgowlass
on 9/29/11 12:04 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
It sounds normal.  They sent me home with my drain and it started to leak.  I freaked but it was no biggie and they removed it five days after surgery.  She "milked" me on the table to get fluid out, but then it did seal itself.  Just keep an eye on it and keep it as clean as possible.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Susan_U
on 9/29/11 12:07 pm - Ontario, CA
Wow, seeping must be "in" today!! 

I posted in the wee hours about how I had suddenly "sprung a leak" with same pale red serum stuff.  People here reassured me, and this morning was my 1 week check-up and the surgeon reassured me too.  He told me this was normal &, like yours, said to keep it lightly covered with gauze.  I was told that it would stop in a day or two as well.

Dr, Suh told me to keep an eye on it when I change the gauze--if it stayed the same, fine & dandy, but to call him if pus made an appearance.  In that case he'd give me antibiotics, but he highly doubted it would come to that.
LADYBUG 75
on 9/29/11 12:13 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Haha!  Thanks!  Good to know I'm on the right track then.  I can sleep in peace, Although in my recliner..

Tina

Nothing will work unless you do.-- Maya Angelou

waitingtoexhale69
on 9/30/11 7:30 am - IL
HI SORRY FOR YOUR LEAK.  I TOO HAD A DRAINAGE TUBE OR A JACKSON PRATT.  IT WAS DRANING A RELATIVLY SMALL AMOUNT BEFORE THEY PULLED IT.  BEFORE I WAS DISCHARGED THIER WAS A SMALL TO MODERATE AMOUNT OF DRAINAGE STILL OOZING FROM THE SITE. AFTER A FEW DAYS IT HEALED AND SCABBED OVER.  YOU'LL BE FINE.  BUT KEEP AN EYE ON IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics