One Wee****il Surgery- Any Tips

RainDiva
on 10/2/11 12:14 am
I have one more week before I go for surgery. Yes I am nervous, scared and excited all at the same time.
I just wanted to see if anyone can give me some suggestions to prepare for my arrival back home.

I am getting all prescriptions filled etc etc.
but since you guys have been thru it already.
what is some good suggestions. like should I freeze water bottles. Also what is some good 1-2 week liquids that went down easy. I did get Unjury unflavored protein and also have Bariatric Advantage flavored protein.

but what are sometimes you wish you knew prior to surgery to make it easier.

and of course hugs and words of encouragement would be awesome right now.

thanks

ktharp89
on 10/2/11 12:28 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 Congratulations!!! It's normal to be nervous but I'm glad you are excited too!!

I recommend getting some sugar free Popsicles, and some tea you like. I couldn't drink cold liquid so I drank a lot of tea. Sometimes at firs****er is funny. Also I know a lot of people say it is unnecessary but I got a sippy cup to make sure I drink slowly (because I really had a hard time with that a first. now i can gulp big sips,) and i got baby spoons which helped me for the pureed stage. A firm pillow also really helped me because of the pain where the incision/incisions are. I don't know where I would have been without it. 

Other things were Listerine strips. They are minty things that dissolve on your tongue. That helped  me a lot because my mouth got really dry and had a bad taste for awhile. The meds and anesthesia can do that for a little while. 

Also if you get nauseous right after surgery have someone go and pick you up some strong mint tea. Drinking it helps but also I would just inhale the teabags. Ginger tea is also good for that. And it is tasty. 

When you are really new it is going to be really hard to get all your protein and water in. Drink as much water as humanly possible and try try with the protein. But don't beat yourself up if you don't do that great. It will come!

Good luck! Let us know how it all goes!!

Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

poet_kelly
on 10/2/11 2:24 am - OH
Have a variety of liquids because you can't predict how things will taste and what you'll like after surgery.  I found that I either had to have ice cold drinks or warm drinks like herbal tea.  But some people don't like cold drinks and prefer room temp.  Have some hot tea (decaf) or herbal tea, or sugar free hot chocolate, or something warm.  Have plain water and have Crystal Light or something like that.  You might want to pick up a couple bottles of Isopure or Cytosport ready to drink protein drinks (at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe).

You might also wanna order some samples of other protein powders from vitalady.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

glzgowlass
on 10/2/11 5:14 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I would/do eat 1/2 cup butternut squash soup.  I feel like I am getting a meal.  I like wegman's brand but not the v8.  Check the labels too for sugar content.

Some folks have trouble with the protein.  If you do, check at the vitamin shoppe for sample packets of Jay Robb.  I like mine like a shake, so I add it to 4 or 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk. 

I found drinking much easier than I expected, but everyone is different.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/2/11 5:43 am
Remind your family that you need to come home to a relatively clean house. No mountains of laundry or cobwebby ceilings, if that bothers you. Those things bother me immensely and I knew if the housework wasn't under control I would try to get up and do some, thus slowing down my recovery time.

If you read, hit up the used bookstore or fill up your ebook with interesting selections. Same thing with movies and TV shows. If you enjoy TV make sure you DVR some stuff. I was very bored after the first couple of days when I wasn't falling asleep in the middle of a sentence.

Comfy clothes to wear: your stomach will probably be puffy for a few days, so elastic waistbands are the best.

Also, I did feel some hunger after surgery and missed food, especially savory food. So when my family is eating, I sip broth. I find the aroma of food is not as enticing that way. Chicken broth tastes way better to me than it ever did presurgery.

Lastly, I was surprised that I felt so emotional. About one day a week I cried. This is common. Lots of changes are happening and it is hard to keep up with all of them. My crying days really brought home to me that I have a food addiction that I have to manage.

You can do this! OH is very helpful. There isn't anything you can't ask about here.
Annette O.
on 10/2/11 6:22 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
A quick piggy back on this post. I will be two weeks out tomorrow and two of my incisions are right on my waist band on most of my pants. I thought ahead and brought a comfy dress with me to the hospital with no waist. I was glad I did because sitting up in the car for an hour and 1/2 would've been tourture with anything with a waistband.  Good luck to you.
Annette O
tulips52
on 10/2/11 8:01 am
 I am a day after you ! I love all of the suggestions as well!

Bama_Wifey
on 10/2/11 8:21 am - AL
I am also having surgery in a week and was wondering the EXACT same thing!  I wanted to ask but wasnt sure how to word it.  You did an excellent job of wording it for me.  What kind of pre-op diet are you on?  I have read on here that a lot of people are on liquids 2 weeks pre-op, but I since I have been on a high protein/low carb diet for the past 7 months, my nutritionist instructed me to keep doing what I'm doing, but lower the fat content.  I sincerely wish you the best during and after your surgery.  Here's your hug!   And please keep us posted!
RainDiva
on 10/2/11 12:13 pm
I am on a high protein low carb diet with a lot of help from bariartics advantage meal replacements thank you so much for the hugs I can,t wait to be finished with the operation part and home again I will keep you guys posted

Most Active
Recent Topics