So it's not a stricture but an ulcer!

ecshumway
on 10/2/11 1:08 pm - NY
I had an endoscopy on Friday . Dr thought I might have a stricture but it turned out to be a bleeding ulcer. So now I'm on meds to heal that. I'm almost 6 weeks out.I'm off work for another week. I hope I can get this thing under control.
Has anyone else developed an ulcer and if so, what foods did you eat?

Betty

hlacy
on 10/2/11 1:18 pm - Chandler, AZ
Can I ask what your symptoms were? I want to be in the know should it happen to me. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

ecshumway
on 10/2/11 1:38 pm - NY
I would get nauseous after drinking water and my stomach seemed to be full all of the time. I had a feeling like hunger pains but I knew I wasn't hungry. Lots of gas and stomach noises too.

Ksan32
on 10/2/11 2:31 pm - AZ
Down 48 lbs, yeah girl work that pouch!!

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

hlacy
on 10/3/11 12:54 am - Chandler, AZ
Thanks lady! It's been about a week at that, so I think I have hit one of the dreaded stalls...time to get on the treadmill more I guess :)
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

BugdocMom
on 10/2/11 1:38 pm - CA
I got an ulcer at about 6 weeks out, too. I was feeling nauseated, tummy felt grumpy when I ate or drank, had some serious food aversion, and I could feel the acid just bubbling around in my pouch like crazy. My doc prescribed carafate 4 x day to coat my tummy and I got immediate relief. For a month, I improved, then I started getting symptoms in between doses. My doc changed my acid reducer from prilosec to protonix and bumped it up to 2 x day. By the end of the next month, the symptoms were gone.

As far as food, once I was on carafate, I had no trouble with foods due to my ulcer. I actually ate a lot of spicy stuff with no trouble. I tell you, carafate is a godsend!

Good luck to you!
ecshumway
on 10/2/11 1:42 pm - NY
My Dr put me on Carafate as well 4x day. Plus prilosec once a day and protonix once a day.

Dave Chambers
on 10/2/11 1:39 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Several things can cause ulcers. Smoking, NSAIDS, early post op consumption of caffeine or high citric acid fruits or drinks (grapefruit juice, oj, tomato juice, etc.), etc.  At a recent post op group, a 14 months old man announced he had just been treated for an ulcer. He spent 2 days in the hospital and is taking Nexium twice daily for a month, and then has to be rescoped. He seemed like he was doing fine at many recent support groups. But, he did announce he had been eating a lot of oranges and other citrus fruits during the hot summer months.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ecshumway
on 10/2/11 1:43 pm - NY
I'm not sure what caused mine. I don't smoke or use Nsaids or drink acid fruit drinks etc. or caffeine.

lilbear412
on 10/2/11 1:47 pm - MN
 i hope i don't get one.  i don't do any of those things either.  in fact i was told not to drink fruit juice at all.  I can't remember why right now but i know its kept me from drinking it. lol  i am not eating any really spicy foods though i am eating pretty blah stuff.  Betty what kind of foods are you on now?  i am eating soft stuff mostly but can tolerate most anything really.  i am not eating sharp stuff like chips or things like that..no pizza yet but i have had a couple bites...no breads or pastas or rice.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess